HO work pics - :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Job running power to a small building behind the house; HO wanted to 3-way lights @ the building from the back door of the house.

I was supposed to put it next to an existing switch; I took the cover off the existing switch to contemplate adding a single box or making this a two-gang. I found the following:

Something didn't look quite right w/ the conductors coming into this box, so I pulled it out of the wall.

wallswitch02.jpg

Yep. Somethings not right; lets look closer:

wallswitch01.jpg

Agghhhh!!! An even closer look:

wallswitch03.jpg

Well its obvious we're not touching that. I go under the house to see about fishing my 3 wire up the wall for the new switch.

Yes, these are still hot.

kandt01.jpg

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
C3PO said:
I wonder if they sleep well at night?

This is probably the least of their worries. The lighting and recep circuits were multi-wire, sorta. They had 10-2UF running under the house fed from 2-pole 30A breakers; they had tapped these to get 120v to the devices; none of the splices were in a junction box. after the tap from the 10-2, black was used as the grounded conductor. and then there's all of the K&T under the house (and presumably in some walls) that is still live.

jerm

Years ago I got into an attic of a house with some recepts "not working right."

There was an uncut run of 8/2 romex down the center of the attic (hanging in the air) with 12/2's spliced off it (stripped and wrapped- not even a wirenut) everywhere there was a light or recept.

Just stripped and taped onto the 8/2.

I don't remember what size breaker that 8/2 was tied to, but it was one of those old 60amp 120v meter houses.

We left (ran off like cowards in fact) of course didn't charge them anything for our 30 minutes and told them they needed to find an electrician to fix that before their house burned down. :)

resistance

Typical!

I wouldn’t doubt a handyman did the work!:roll:

I guess they will have the same handyman follow the electrician around, so the handyman can talk about how great he is at installing electrical!:mad: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
resistance said:
Since we are posting pics. I found this with my toner:

oh that's delicious! the work in my pics was actually done by the HO. At least that's what they told me.

frizbeedog

I feel better just knowing that the wirenuts are taped.

I'm serious, that's an important step. Every homeowner knows that.

resistance

Here is another, where the HO claimed he had an electrician do it. To give a small synopsis:
Customer had a brand new 200A main service rated panel installed from a 60A meter base (old style). Customer called me, because one of the service entrance conductors were burning (loose lug). This service is defined: Cutting corners:

Status
Not open for further replies.