Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: sump pump code

sump pump code

I am a safety manager for telecom company and wonder if there is a NEC code that states a homes sump pump must be plugged into to single outlet recepticle? Some installers are plugging our equipment into duplex outlets and was wondering if this OK?

Quote Originally Posted by mbernh001
    I am a safety manager for telecom company and wonder if there is a NEC code that states a homes sump pump must be plugged into to single outlet recepticle? Some installers are plugging our equipment into duplex outlets and was wondering if this OK?

It's fine depending on where the sump-pump is located, and what year NEC you are going by.
    "Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called electrons, that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been drinking."

Quote Originally Posted by stickboy1375
    It's fine depending on where the sump-pump is located, and what year NEC you are going by.
    Can you quote an article on this? I don't recall any NEC requirements for a dwelling unit sump pump receptacle. :-?

Quote Originally Posted by jrclen
    Can you quote an article on this? I don't recall any NEC requirements for a dwelling unit sump pump receptacle. :-?
    There are none.

But 210.8 (A) will likely come into play.

every cord-and-plug sump i've ever worked w/ had two plugs, but one had a recep on the back of it for the other to plug into; i use a duplex, put one in each so the in-use cover will close. yours only have one plug?

Quote Originally Posted by brantmacga
    every cord-and-plug sump i've ever worked w/ had two plugs, but one had a recep on the back of it for the other to plug into; i use a duplex, put one in each so the in-use cover will close. yours only have one plug?
    You're kidding, right?

You might want to read the instructions next time...
    "Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called electrons, that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been drinking."

You must be talking about a pump with float switches. If you plug both cords into an energized recep you will short the circuit when the float switch is activated.

It is possible to do what you are saying if you change the config. of the wiring to the recep. I am not sure how legal that is but one could wire the lower half of the recep. hot with the feed then the corresponding neutral terminal would travel to the hot of the upper recep. The float switch would have to be plugged into the bottom and the pump into the top, however what would insure that it gets installed like that the second time. Not a good idea.

I'd love to know what you did because I can't see how it would work. Think about why their are two plugs and one piggy backs into the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon
    You must be talking about a pump with float switches. If you plug both cords into an energized recep you will short the circuit when the float switch is activated.
    No short circuit possible.

The pump would run continuously.

Quote Originally Posted by iwire
    No short circuit possible.

The pump would run continuously.
    Bob, if I plug a float switch into a receptacle (120 volts ) and the switch gets activated by rising water, then can you expalin what would happen if a short would not occur.

I agree the pump will run continuously