dedicated work space rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

A mechanical guy just came to me asking if he could build a sheet rock ceiling below his duct work such that it wouldn't be the dedicated electrical space above several panelboards. I said no because I know that, at least if we were talking about Emergency electrical room, this does not fly. It would need to be a structural ceiling. Putting in a plaster ceiling to hide it is just that - hiding it.

I believe the same would apply for Normal panelaboards and the space above them. True?

Thanks,

Mike

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You said dedicated work space, do you mean dedicated equipment space or work space? The suspended ceiling would be OK in the dedicated equipment space, but the duct work would need to be 6' above the top of the equipment. From the NECH:

Dedicated equipment space:

Dedicatedspace.jpg

Working Space:
workingspace.jpg

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The suspended ceiling would be OK in the dedicated equipment space, but the duct work would need to be 6' above the top of the equipment.
It would not be enough for the duct work to be 6 feet above the top of the panel. There would also have to be a protective shield to prevent water from dripping from the duct onto the equipment. Sheet rock would not provide such protection. Any dripping watter would quickly work its way through the sheet rock, and thereafter would fall onto the panel.

In response to the other part of your question, the status of the equipment (i.e., normal versus emergency) does not influence this requirement. Also, to confirm your statement that the sheet rock does not count as a structural ceiling, I refer you to 110.26(F)(1)(d).

Status
Not open for further replies.