Pancake box

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnJ0906

Francisco1 said:
What is the capacity and wirefill of a pancake box?

Usually stamped on the box.

See also Table 314.16(A)

If you mean the 4" round metal boxes that are about 1/2" deep - 6 cubic inches, as I recall.

electricalperson

the pancake boxes i see around here are usually 3.5 inches and have a cubic fill of 4.0 inches. only time i use them is for outside fixtures when the light has cubic inches marked on it.

you technically cant use them as a junction box since a single 14 awg conductor takes up 2.0 cubic inches and 14/2 has 3 seperate 14 gauge conductors in it

mdshunk

I use the 3-1/4 inch round ones, and I don't think they are actually "legal" for anything. I don't think they can even accomodate a single 14-2. I think you'd have to use them for a fixture with a canopy. (can of pee?)

stickboy1375

9304.jpg

This one is 3.5 CU.IN, but it comes with a disclaimer...:roll:

Not UL listed. See NEC 2002 410.10.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I though 410.10 is for fixture wires NOT branch circuit wires.

c2500

There is a plastic one available that is actually 8 cubic inches that I have seen in the orange big box. $3 or $4 each..though I think it is fan rated. The 6's will take one 14-2 and the 8's will accept one 12-2.

c2500

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
c2500 said:
There is a plastic one available that is actually 8 cubic inches that I have seen in the orange big box. $3 or $4 each..though I think it is fan rated. The 6's will take one 14-2 and the 8's will accept one 12-2.

c2500

That is the box I use for fans. It looks sorta like half of a saddle mount box.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
brantmacga said:
We call that a side-saddle. :)

Speaking of 3" and 4" boxes, when roughing new work, I always use the smaller round nail-ons for smokes, because there's no confusion with fixture boxes, and they're easier for smokes to cover.

What are smokes, 4-1/4"? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

dhducati

brantmacga said:

The 8 cu in box is almost flat (the clamp sticks out the back). The saddle/half saddles like you're describing are usually larger -- 12 cu in or more.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
LarryFine said:
We call that a side-saddle. :)

i was thinking that's what it was, but wasn't sure. . . .i'm new to the plastic box world. :smile:

LarryFine said:
Speaking of 3" and 4" boxes, when roughing new work, I always use the smaller round nail-ons for smokes, because there's no confusion with fixture boxes, and they're easier for smokes to cover.

What are smokes, 4-1/4"? :rolleyes:

do you run into any box fill problems using those smaller boxes? that sounds like a great idea. although its one more type of box to carry around :(

quogueelectric

I have been using the westinghouse straddle stud side saddle whatever you want to call them they are fan rated and cheap for years. You have to find a stud anyway for a pancake or add a cripple so you might as well use a nice sized box. bar spreaders are a drag and expensive. Pita to stock I might add.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
quogueelectric said:
bar spreaders are a drag and expensive. Pita to stock I might add.

I tried some of those. . . . the ones I used sagged a 1/4" after the fan was installed. I was not happy. When they say "up to 24" joists", that's ALL you're getting out of them. I came across some that were 25" centers and the bars wouldn't span it. And yes it was aggravating to keep up w/ those parts when trying to stock them.

c2500

I was in the supply house today and saw a poster of different boxes. There is another box available (fan rated) that is 6.8 cubic inches. (most metal box manufacturers have them) That would eek into the 6.75 cubic inch requirement for 12-2.

c2500

Status
Not open for further replies.