Ladder Fee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
So, I have had a few calls about jobs that require a VERY tall ladder. I have purchased a Little Giant "Skyscraper" Ladder ( 21' ).

My wife said I should add a B.A.L. fee anytime I break this bad boy out.

I'm interested in knowing what others charge for "high" work.

mdshunk

Yeah, it's extra, but not itemized as a line item. That's for sure.

I have a 20 foot stepladder that's double-sided. It takes 2 men to erect it. Not too much fun to use, actually.

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
I had to set one of those up on some stairs once. What a workout! Yeah, get MO MONEY.

John

480sparky

mdshunk said:
I never really understood those. They're real back breakers to work off of.

I stick it up on my ladder rack. I can haul it in, install a ceiling fan or two, and haul it back out. Sure beats staging 2 or 3 sections of scaffold. I'm done before you can get your scaffold up the first time.

L

Lxnxjxhx

Little Giant "Skyscraper"

Little Giant "Skyscraper"

They are costly.
And, I guess, heavy.
Can one guy handle it? A 40# extension ladder is bad enough.
How soon do they pay you back in convenience, or time saved?

Occupation
Inspector
wireguru said:
ugh the worst are those giant A frames that have the straight ladder that telescopes out the top of it.

That was the first type of "Tall" ladder I used. That thing was made of wood and scared the H^%* out of me. I always felt like it was going to topple over. The center section would sway about a foot or so in each direction.

This one is much more stable.

Occupation
Inspector
Lxnxjxhx said:
They are costly.
And, I guess, heavy.
Can one guy handle it? A 40# extension ladder is bad enough.
How soon do they pay you back in convenience, or time saved?

The 21' lists to weigh about 103 lbs. I can pick it up and move it myself. I have built two dollies to help in moving it over long distances , I'll take some photos and post them.

It could pay off in no time by being able to land more "high" work and charging the B.A.L.

mdshunk

480sparky said:
I stick it up on my ladder rack. I can haul it in, install a ceiling fan or two, and haul it back out. Sure beats staging 2 or 3 sections of scaffold. I'm done before you can get your scaffold up the first time.
I'm a little surprised that you can work off one of those things, straight up. You're a big man, and I honestly wasn't sure if they worked for bigger guys or not. I like to work 2-handed, and there's no good way to work 2 handed off that sort of ladder. I never really tried to use a body belt with one, though. That would probably work okay. With those ladders, you're normally working one-handed and holding on for your life with your other hand/arm.

Podagrower

I have used the A frame ladder a few times, but I do not like it:mad: . The last company I worked had a safety guy (who was an idiot), but he told us the A frame ladder was designed to be used in pairs, with a walk plank in between, not designed for a man to use the center section. Anyone else heard this?

bikeindy

I use scaffolding there is no way I am risking a fall or trying to set up some tall ladder I get paid extra for high work and harge for the scaffolding. If they don't like my price weel they can have some other fool do the work.

The scaffolding I have can be set up on stairways and is easy enough for me to assemble by myself if I had to. I don't plan my work that way though.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
mdshunk said:
Yeah, it's extra, but not itemized as a line item. That's for sure.

I have a 20 foot stepladder that's double-sided. It takes 2 men to erect it. Not too much fun to use, actually.

The company I used to work for had one of those, but I think it was 18'. We had a builder who started putting 20'+ ceilings in every house which made it necessary. Its a PITA to carry through a finished house, but takes a lot less time than scaffolding. I think they paid around $700 for that ladder. Does that sound right?

ultramegabob

at least charge what it would cost to rent an equivalent ladder or scaffold, and throw in some labor for delivering it to the jobsite and setting it up, anyone else that doesnt have that ladder would have to rent somthing...

nafis

your wife is right

your wife is right

i have had one of those lader for almost a year now and never have problem with it . make sure you fill up your life time warranty paper .to answer your question i do charge for ladder rental about $50

Occupation
Inspector
This is how I manage to move this ladder around and storage. I can get it onto my truck's ladder rack and off without too much trouble. Carrying this by myself is a little work but the dollies(?) help.

I have been charging $50.00 each time it goes on and off my truck.

Occupation
Inspector
brantmacga said:
The company I used to work for had one of those, but I think it was 18'. We had a builder who started putting 20'+ ceilings in every house which made it necessary. Its a PITA to carry through a finished house, but takes a lot less time than scaffolding. I think they paid around $700 for that ladder. Does that sound right?

The ladder I have pictured was right at $820.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.