This really grinds my gears...

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickboy1375

gdpit_com_31277927_355.gif

radiopet

stickboy1375 said:
Went back to a regular customers house to change out some light fixtures, I inadvertently tripped a gfi protected circuit so I went to the basement to reset the breaker, I notice right away all the steam humidifiers I wired were gone and a brand new system was installed and wired, so I asked the owner who did the job and she replies so and so heating contractor.

They ran two brand new circuits for the equipment and wired it all up for her. I just let the owner know they should not have done the work and she was pretty surprised. Anyone else deal with this problem?

Sadly...I see it nearly EVERYDAY i am doing inspections.....

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Let's beat this some more..... If a staple is listed to securely hold a large size cables then it is certainly may be capable of securing 3 or possible 4 smaller cables. I don't see what the big deal is. The purpose of the staple is to hold the wire securely to the studs, etc. If I can secure 4 cables with a tie wrap then I don't see the issue. Now if the staples is listed for 2- 12/2 and you try to put 3 it may not securely support those cables. That I have issue with not the other scenario.

480sparky

Dennis Alwon said:
Let's beat this some more..... If a staple is listed to securely hold a large size cables then it is certainly may be capable of securing 3 or possible 4 smaller cables. I don't see what the big deal is. The purpose of the staple is to hold the wire securely to the studs, etc. If I can secure 4 cables with a tie wrap then I don't see the issue. Now if the staples is listed for 2- 12/2 and you try to put 3 it may not securely support those cables. That I have issue with not the other scenario.

Why bother with staples and tiewraps.

Just use a simple nail through the middle of the cable.....

oops05.jpg

radiopet

The problem is not just that BLACK and WHITE......What happens is the guy uses the smaller staples to try and staple (3) conductors under one that was designed to hold only (2)....it then pinches the conductors, breaks the insulation or even worse...Damages the conductors...

I would not have a problem with a larger staple and they DO make staples that allow (3) cables under them....I know because our inspection office has sample boxes of BOTH versions.....I have seen way to many damaged cables due to some "Helper" not understanding how to properly drive a staple...lets hope they learn as a helper before they make the mistake as a "Master"

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
radiopet said:
TI have seen way to many damaged cables due to some "Helper" not understanding how to properly drive a staple...lets hope they learn as a helper before they make the mistake as a "Master"

I have also seen may electricians put one wire under a staple and drive it home as if it were a nail. Look at some of the old cloth cables. I have seen them with no cloth there because the staples were driven so tight.

Human error will always be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.