Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interlocks vs seperate subpanel transfersw.

"I have learned, in whatsoever STATE I am, therewith to be content". :) Philipians 4:11

Talking Interlocks vs seperate subpanel transfersw.

Whats your opionion of the interlocks over subpanel transfer switches?? i see using the interlock can be cheaper, but some of my fellow electricians dont like them and they prefer the standard subpanel transfer switch. They dont like it when you can just remove the panel and then both breakers (utility and generator) can be turned on at the same time.

Interlocks are UL approve and a 'legal' type of transfer switch. Whats your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by brother
    Interlocks are UL approve and a 'legal' type of transfer switch. Whats your opinion?
    I like them both. The interlock is a much cheaper and faster route than the transfer switch or "Gen Tran" style of panels.

They dont like it when you can just remove the panel and then both breakers (utility and generator) can be turned on at the same time.
    Why would anyone ever do that? That falls under the the "what if..." category of extreme paranoia. I would install one and never worry about that.

I prefer the transfer switch. It seems more idiot-proof, and sometimes the operators are, well, you know. If they can't figure out the interlock, they might get a wild hair and pull out the pliers. I know, paranoia...

you can just remove the panel and then both breakers (utility and generator) can be turned on at the same time.
    I 'summe you meant remove the panel cover? It seems a lot of trouble to remove a panel.
    Jeremy
    Tulsa, Ok

"I have learned, in whatsoever STATE I am, therewith to be content". :) Philipians 4:11
    Quote Originally Posted by jerm
    I prefer the transfer switch. It seems more idiot-proof, and sometimes the operators are, well, you know. If they can't figure out the interlock, they might get a wild hair and pull out the pliers. I know, paranoia...

I 'summe you meant remove the panel cover? It seems a lot of trouble to remove a panel.

Yes i meant panel COVER . sorry for the typo.

Auto transfers rule, just no one likes to pay for them.
    -MST3K fanatic

I like the Interlock kit, but you won't make as much money as if you installed a transfer switch and a generator panel. But...

I added a generator hook-up a house that had multiple sub-panels through-out, I installed the Interlock Kit to speed up the install and to make my life less miserable....:wink:
    "Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called electrons, that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been drinking."

Ats

I always install automatic transfer switch when I install generators. The customers like counting to 5 and having the lights come back on without fumbling in the dark when the power goes out.

Thats great if they have the coin....
    "Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called electrons, that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been drinking."

The interlocks are listed as breaker panel accessories. The code section requires "transfer equipment". Is a breaker panel accessory "transfer equipment"?
    Don
    Don, Illinois
    "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." B Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_B
    I always install automatic transfer switch when I install generators. The customers like counting to 5 and having the lights come back on without fumbling in the dark when the power goes out.
    I don't have any reason to doubt you, other than the fact that this sounds like a bunch of bull. I get maybe one residential customer in 20 that's willing to pay for an automatic transfer swtich, and I think I'm a pretty decent salesman. Reason being, the automatic transfer switch also necessitates the use of a different class of generator. Most residential customers with generator setups are just dragging the portable genset out of a shed.