Can Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

guschash

How many can lights do you put on a 15A curcuit. I put no more 1440w on a 15a curcuit if they will be on longer than 3hrs. I thought I read here that a inspector said no more than 6 or 8.

hillbilly

What is the maximum wattage bulb that the can is rated for?

I use this number for the maximum fixture load and calculate the circuit accordingly.

15A circuit = 1800W maximum non-continuous load
1440W maximum continuous load

Just my opinion
steve

Buck Parrish

I think all lights are considered continuous loads.

15 lights would not be uncommon

Most use a 65 watt bulb.
Some more. Some less.

Jim W in Tampa

Last thing you want is customer calling you because breaker triped in middle of house party.No reason not to put a few on other general lighting circuits with receptacles unless you need all from same switch.They should think about the new floresant ones.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
guschash said:
How many can lights do you put on a 15A circuit. I put no more 1440w on a 15a circuit if they will be on longer than 3hrs. I thought I read here that a inspector said no more than 6 or 8.

Maybe he is thinking per dimmer, standard 600 watt ganged together gets down 300 or 400 watts. The can lights I normally install are 4'' IC and I use a 50 watt par 20 in them IMO thats a lot of cans per 15a circuit 30-32 total.

roger3829

guschash said:
How many can lights do you put on a 15A curcuit. I put no more 1440w on a 15a curcuit if they will be on longer than 3hrs. I thought I read here that a inspector said no more than 6 or 8.

Best case is 1440 watts/proper lamp size.

davedottcom

hillbilly said:
What is the maximum wattage bulb that the can is rated for?

I use this number for the maximum fixture load and calculate the circuit accordingly.

15A circuit = 1800W maximum non-continuous load
1440W maximum continuous load

Just my opinion
steve

Exactly.

1800 * 80% = 1440

Just look at the label on the can, use the highest wattage permitted (Whether you are using that wattage lamp or not doesn't matter) then multiply that by the number of cans. If it's 1440 or under, you're good.

so

(# of fixtures) x (Maximum wattage listed on fixture) = 1440 or less

You could have 1,440 recessed fixtures on 1 circuit as long as each fixtures' "listed" maximum wattage is no more than 1 watt.

There is no set limit to the number of fixtures, just the amount of wattage.

Jim W in Tampa

davedottcom said:
Exactly.

1800 * 80% = 1440

Just look at the label on the can, use the highest wattage permitted (Whether you are using that wattage lamp or not doesn't matter) then multiply that by the number of cans. If it's 1440 or under, you're good.

so

(# of fixtures) x (Maximum wattage listed on fixture) = 1440 or less

You could have 1,440 recessed fixtures on 1 circuit as long as each fixtures' "listed" maximum wattage is no more than 1 watt.

There is no set limit to the number of fixtures, just the amount of wattage.

Where in nec do you find this rule of max ?

quogueelectric

stickboy1375 said:
I've never seen recess in residential meet the definition of continuous load, so 1800 watts it is.
How about when you leave for work and leave the cans on for me this is a min of 9 hrs 1440 it is

Jim W in Tampa

480sparky said:
Table 310.16.
i was refering to using the max size bulbs they could install to calculate load.I would use the bulbs i am installing.Its not the wire that cant take 100% it is usually the breakers.#14 is rated for 20 amps but cant be fused higher than 15 for lighting.

haskindm

220.14(D) tells you to calculate the lighting load based on the lamp for which the luminaire is RATED, so if you install a lower wattage lamp you must still use the higher wattage for which the fixture is rated. For example if you install 50-watt bulbs in a fixture rated for 100-watt bulbs you must calculate the load based on 100-watts. Also look at the definition of continuous load in article 100. It states that the MAXIMUM current must be continuous for 3-hours or more. On a typical residential circuit consisting of lighting outlets, receptacles, etc. it would be difficult to meet the definition of a continuous load. I may leave a lamp on for days at a time when I am away, but that does not constitute the MAXIMUM current for that circuit, it is a small percentage of the capacity of that circuit.

resistance

haskindm said:
220.14(D) tells you to calculate the lighting load based on the lamp for which the luminaire is RATED, so if you install a lower wattage lamp you must still use the higher wattage for which the fixture is rated. For example if you install 50-watt bulbs in a fixture rated for 100-watt bulbs you must calculate the load based on 100-watts. Also look at the definition of continuous load in article 100. It states that the MAXIMUM current must be continuous for 3-hours or more. On a typical residential circuit consisting of lighting outlets, receptacles, etc. it would be difficult to meet the definition of a continuous load. I may leave a lamp on for days at a time when I am away, but that does not constitute the MAXIMUM current for that circuit, it is a small percentage of the capacity of that circuit.

Exactly! I agree.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Fwiw

Fwiw

When we wire, we seperate lights from receptacles (aka plugs :D ). Since we don't know what the personal habits of the HO are going to be, we use the 15A x 80%. Which, with 75w lamps, limits us to 19 cans per circuit.

And, we only use #14 wire. :D

stickboy1375

Chamuit said:
When we wire, we seperate lights from receptacles (aka plugs :D ). Since we don't know what the personal habits of the HO are going to be, we use the 15A x 80%. Which, with 75w lamps, limits us to 19 cans per circuit.

And, we only use #14 wire. :D

Dont sweat it, any woman can trip any circuit no matter what kind of foresight you think you put into it. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.