Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AED for the jobsite?

AED for the jobsite?

What do you all think of the idea of having an AED (Automated External Defibrillator) for general use and for use in the event of an electrocution accident? I haven't really heard much talk about the use of AED's specifically for the electricians to address the specific hazard some of us might face. They're getting cheaper and cheaper, so it's almost to the point where there'd be no excuse for not having one on every jobsite, just like a first aid kit.

i think its a good idea but make sure everyone on the jobsite knows how to use it properly

knowing the way most first aid kits are kept, I think it would be useless. but it is a great idea.

The CDC says that on construction sites, "In case of electric shock....Automatic defibrillators can save lives."

http://www.cdc.gov/eLCOSH/docs/d0400...6/d000466.html

Quote Originally Posted by electricalperson
    i think its a good idea but make sure everyone on the jobsite knows how to use it properly
    It is my understanding the whole point of these is that they do not really require training, they 'talk' the user through the steps.

One of our customers is a AED manufacturer Zoll it appears the money is not in the sales of the units but the required re-calibration and check out AFAIK can only be done by the particular manufacturer.

I have watched them torture these machines, vibration, extreme heat and cold, drop tests, they take a beating.

I had them on a Golf course I worked at. Very easy to use and required no training. I know of two lifes saved becouse of the AED's
    Unlimited Electric Contractor/Standard Electric Inspector/Traffic Signal Inspector/Highway Lighting and Level One Traffic Signal Installer.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

When you go through the airports, you will see theses mounted every so often.
    I would not be surprised to see some kind of requirement for these on larger jobs some day.
    It certainly cannot be a bad idea. It may even lower your comp or other insurance.
    Instructor, Industry Advocate

great idea

This is a great idea! They are becoming more common than just areas that the elder frequent. I think if we start by asking the large gc's to provide them on the job sites it will eventually become common practice. I see them wall mounted in some areas that I work, health centers,retirement homes,etc. but I never really thought of them being there to save my life in the event of electrical shock!

Bob is correct. The company I work for trains us in CPR every year.For the last couple of years the trainer has been bringing in the AED with them for demonstration as part of their training. The trainers we get are typically firefighters/EMTs and have no sales pitch associated with the device. These devices do talk you through each step.I see AED's in more and more office buildings. I don't recall seeing one on anyjobsite yet but it would be a great idea.

I am a firefighter/emt and I am a believer in every one on a job site being trained in at least basic first aid and cpr. I think having an AED on the job is a great idea, but some training is definately a good idea. Like Bob said the machine does talk you through the steps needed to use the AED and the manufacturers will tell you that there is no training neccessary, but most cpr classes now have some AED training so that people are at least informed about what the machine does and how it works. Without some training in advance people would be using the AED (that they have no idea how to use) for the first time in an emergency situation which is not a good time for learning. So, buy one, great idea, but have the red cross or local fire dept. or someone at least train you, and your guys on the operation of the device.