Project Distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

krisinjersey

I just want to get a feel from some of you guys about the distance you are willing to travel for a project. We're about ready to turn the corner here and thus far have limited project distance to 90 minutes, and service call distance to 60minutes. That sad, my license is good in the entire state and I feel we might be missing out on opportunities presented in other areas of the state. Have you found it to be worth while to expand your radius? How does your per diem work or are you sourcing labor in the area of the project?
With government spending tightening we are going to be expanding one way or another.
Thanks in advance for your input.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I just want to get a feel from some of you guys about the distance you are willing to travel for a project. We're about ready to turn the corner here and thus far have limited project distance to 90 minutes, and service call distance to 60minutes. That sad, my license is good in the entire state and I feel we might be missing out on opportunities presented in other areas of the state. Have you found it to be worth while to expand your radius? How does your per diem work or are you sourcing labor in the area of the project?
With government spending tightening we are going to be expanding one way or another.

Well, you go farther than the EC I work for goes.

Bear in mind that the additional costs to travel further are 'unproductive' costs. They don't add to the value of the customer's product or service. That means you will have to charge for what is technically wasted in order to profit the same as a local.

We have done work farther than 90 minutes away, but it was very specialized work and we got paid well for our drive time. If not, there would have been no way to have made money on the jobs.

You may want to 'test the waters' by adding 10 miles to your current limit just to see how it affects your bottom line. If it works out, you may want to consider adding 10 more. Etc., until you find your 'break even' point.

ritelec

That sad, my license is good in the entire state and I feel we might be missing out on opportunities presented in other areas of the state. Have you found it to be worth while to expand your radius?

Don't expand to my part of Jersey...............no work here.

And if I see a electric truck from Hackettstown I'll know it's you and I'll come agunnin. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

ONLY KIDDING krisinjersy...........Whatever floats your boat.

Good Luck:thumbsup:

By the way...I've commuted to your neck of the woods many times. Wasn't worth it for me or the costumer.........but again..whatever floats your boat.

satcom

Don't expand to my part of Jersey...............no work here.

And if I see a electric truck from Hackettstown I'll know it's you and I'll come agunnin. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

ONLY KIDDING krisinjersy...........Whatever floats your boat.

Good Luck:thumbsup:

By the way...I've commuted to your neck of the woods many times. Wasn't worth it for me or the costumer.........but again..whatever floats your boat.

We were in the Newton area last week and there were trucks plenty contractors from the tri state area one company was from Delaware that is about 3 hour drive, I think the long haul EC's lodge in the area of the project.
Our service area is mapped by the booked calls and will vary on average from 70 to 170 miles local area

ritelec

We were in the Newton area last week and there were trucks plenty contractors from the tri state area one company was from Delaware that is about 3 hour drive, I think the long haul EC's lodge in the area of the project.
Our service area is mapped by the booked calls and will vary on average from 70 to 170 miles local area

What did Delaware? Her New Jersey :D

Delaware? Wonder if they were on the up and up as far as licensing?

As far as the traveling.......I did a stint at Newark airport before the 9/11. It was actually sad, all the travelers leaving their homes from around the U.S. to go to work in Jersey....but.......gotta go where the work is I guess.

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
We are in NC and have done projects as far away as IA and CA.

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
You people in higher population areas have a completely different concept of traveling to work than us in low population areas.

A 60 minute commute for you may very well be much less distance than a 60 minute commute for me. I was able to drive 65 - 70 MPH almost the entire distance and hardly ever had to stop.

From what I understand if you want to commute very far on a regular basis in Alaska you probably better own an airplane.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member

As long as you can charge for the time and wear ad tear on your trucks then it would be worth it.

Otherwise not worth all the trouble.:thumbsup:

mkgrady

If there is some type of work that is your specialty you can often charge enough to make it worth traveling. If you are doing run of the mill work I think it would be difficult to charge enough. An exception would be if customers had few contractors to choose from.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I drive 140 miles round trip Mon through Friday just to get to my office and back home.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
That Sux..........sorry to here that.
It's not a big deal, it's a company vehicle and gas. I take care of projects on my side of the state so it works out fine for the company and myself.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.