Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Edison Phonograph

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,286

    Lightbulb Edison Phonograph

    Here is my new Edison Amberola 50 phonograph.

    In 1908 Edison introduced his new cylinder format, first called "Amberol Record" what became later the famous „Blue Amberol“. With his new phonographs the "Amberola-Series" Edison eliminated definitively the outside horn. The "Amberola-Phonographs", produced first in 1911, were available in a wide range of different models. The last "Edison Amberola Phonograph" leaves the manufactory at West Orange in October 1929.

    The "Amberola 50" was first produced in 1915. It is a table model finished in fine mahogany. The double spring motor is playing up to five cylinders before re-winding. The "Amberola 50" is rather small, but nevertheless one of the finest phonographs, it sounds loud and clear.

    Also pictured are a few of the "records" that play on the phonograph.


    http://www.iaeifl.org/forums/ubbthre...mberola_50.jpg

    http://www.iaeifl.org/forums/ubbthre...mberola_50.jpg

    http://www.iaeifl.org/forums/ubbthre...on_Records.jpg
    Bryan P. Holland, MCP

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Miami Fla.
    Posts
    6,909
    Quote Originally Posted by bphgravity
    Here is my new Edison Amberola 50 phonograph.
    Nice score Bryan. Does it have a "Super Base" button?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Right here.
    Posts
    12,326
    If you like those old Amberola cylinders, this old Tech TV episode blooper will make you sick to your stomach:

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=HqZWsJ2oO_E

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by mdshunk
    If you like those old Amberola cylinders, this old Tech TV episode blooper will make you sick to your stomach:

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=HqZWsJ2oO_E
    Where do you find this stuff Marc? By the way, I don't think those cylinders are as rare as the guy in the video was claiming. I used to teach at a college where they had several of the cylinders on display, one even was filled with jokes by a comedian of the era. The sound quality however was auful. The phonograph at the aforementioned college must have been older than the one posted by the OP, as it had the famous horn attached to the needle. e/m.
    A kwh saved is 2 kwhs earned

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,286
    Actually, the one I have is one of the most common "household" models produced by the Edison Phonograph Company. The "external" horn types which are identified by a roman numeral are much more rare and valuable.

    I have 7 cylinders. They range in price from between $10 and $20 dollars each. I have seen them up to and over $1,000 depending on their content, rarity, and age.

    The Edison Museum down here in SW Florida has over 200 Edison Phonographs and several hundred records. Many are so rare and valuable, I can't even get near them...
    Bryan P. Holland, MCP

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by bphgravity
    Actually, the one I have is one of the most common "household" models produced by the Edison Phonograph Company. The "external" horn types which are identified by a roman numeral are much more rare and valuable.

    I have 7 cylinders. They range in price from between $10 and $20 dollars each. I have seen them up to and over $1,000 depending on their content, rarity, and age.

    The Edison Museum down here in SW Florida has over 200 Edison Phonographs and several hundred records. Many are so rare and valuable, I can't even get near them...
    Looks like the one in the guy's hand in the video broke first, in his hand before it hit the ground. I played the video a few times to catch that. It must have been pretty brittle and he was probably holding on to it tight to keep it from slipping through his fingers, well maybe a little too tight !! e/m
    A kwh saved is 2 kwhs earned

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Right here.
    Posts
    12,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy-Miser
    Where do you find this stuff Marc?
    It's not so much that I go out looking for things like that, but I just remember odd tidbits and file them away for when they might be helpful. I remembered that old episode. When Bryan brought up the topic, I went hunting that video clip, feeling sure it would be on the net someplace.

    By the way, I'm not much fun to play Trivial Pursuit with either. One local pub has banned me from participating on team trivia night.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Westchester County, New York
    Posts
    8,169
    Quote Originally Posted by bphgravity
    The Edison Museum down here in SW Florida has over 200 Edison Phonographs and several hundred records. Many are so rare and valuable, I can't even get near them...
    Bryan
    You have the knowledge to cut the power to the building and sneak in there...:wink:
    Instructor, Industry Advocate

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by mdshunk
    It's not so much that I go out looking for things like that, but I just remember odd tidbits and file them away for when they might be helpful. I remembered that old episode. When Bryan brought up the topic, I went hunting that video clip, feeling sure it would be on the net someplace.

    By the way, I'm not much fun to play Trivial Pursuit with either. One local pub has banned me from participating on team trivia night.
    Kind'a like card readers in Vegas ! My wife was like that with the TV game called "name that tune". She consistently beat the constestants right from our living room in naming the tunes. She says if there was a modern version of it, she would do poorly at it, because of all the new songs which she does not recognize. But music from 60's, 70's and 80's, I don't think there is one that she could not name. e/m
    A kwh saved is 2 kwhs earned

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    49,206
    Quote Originally Posted by bphgravity
    Many are so rare and valuable, I can't even get near them...

    Shoot I figured you would be a on a first name basis with all the workers at the museum and would be able to get all access.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •