Understanding 680.26(c)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

A friend will be installing an outdoor spa (Set on pavers) soon and I wanted to be clear as to the use of a bonding grid. If the spa's frame is non metallic then the grid need only extend from the spa's outer perimeter 3' horizontally. If the frame is metallic then the grid must be run underneath the pavers and then 3' horizontally. Does this sound right? Also, another friend said that NJ hasn't adopted part of this article so I'm unsure how to proceed. I could call the town but I don't think my buddy plans on getting it inspected.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If your buddy is not licensed he definitely should not be doing this. It's hard enough for us in the know.

I don't get your question. My understanding is the grid must be under the tub and extend 3' beyond no matter what the tub is made of.

mark32

Hey Dennis,

What I meant to say is my buddy is installing the spa for himself, at his personal home. I'm the licensed guy but not in the state he lives, if need be he'll pull a home owner's permit but like I said, he has no plans of doing so. I tried talking him into it (Getting it inspected) we'll see. Anyway, I read on this forum the mention of a metallic vs non metallic frame. Let me see if I can find the thread.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Mark remember that 680.26 is for swimming pools as well as hot tubs. Some of the information may only pertain to pools. If the hot tub has a conductive sheel then it must be bonded but I do not believe that has any connection to the equipotential grid under the tub extending 3' outside it. If the pavers are only under the tub then the grid need not exist.

mpd

if the grid is under pavers it must be a copper grid, the grid is not required under the tub

wawireguy

Call your local inspectors office. I just did a hot tub. They told me that I did not need to put in a bonding grid. Whether that really meets code or not is another question. Is it safe to not have it. Yes. If it's not enforced it saves your customer money.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
wawireguy said:
Call your local inspectors office. I just did a hot tub. They told me that I did not need to put in a bonding grid. Whether that really meets code or not is another question. Is it safe to not have it. Yes. If it's not enforced it saves your customer money.

It really should not be about the AHJ enforcing the code or not. If it is code you ought to cover your butt and install it the way it should be.

frizbeedog

Dennis Alwon said:
It really should not be about the AHJ enforcing the code or not. If it is code you ought to cover your butt and install it the way it should be.

Right. Given that the butt is submerged in water supplied by electricity. So to speak.

elohr46

mark32 said:
A friend will be installing an outdoor spa (Set on pavers) soon and I wanted to be clear as to the use of a bonding grid. If the spa's frame is non metallic then the grid need only extend from the spa's outer perimeter 3' horizontally. If the frame is metallic then the grid must be run underneath the pavers and then 3' horizontally. Does this sound right? Also, another friend said that NJ hasn't adopted part of this article so I'm unsure how to proceed. I could call the town but I don't think my buddy plans on getting it inspected.

If the spa contains no metal parts and your pump motor is double insulated, what do you intend to bond the EBG to?

mark32

That's a good question elohr46. My answer is I haven't a clue. I've never wired a spa/hot tub before, I just assumed there'd be a lug waiting for me somewhere on this thing.

elohr46

mark32 said:
That's a good question elohr46. My answer is I haven't a clue. I've never wired a spa/hot tub before, I just assumed there'd be a lug waiting for me somewhere on this thing.

The code says to connect it to the pump motor feed equipment ground. 680.26(B)(4). I don't know how this protects you from voltage gradients in the earth but I guess it's better than nothing.

M. D.

Doesn't the water need to be bonded??? 2008

Metal parts of listed equipment incorporating an approved system of double insulation shall not be bonded

cpal

680.26 (C) requires the water to be bonded . Spa installations must conform with Parts I and II of Article 680. The bonding Grid is required also.

elohr46

cpal said:
680.26 (C) requires the water to be bonded . Spa installations must conform with Parts I and II of Article 680. The bonding Grid is required also.

Pa is still under 2005 nec, not sure of NJ where OP lives. What are the approved methods to bond the pool/spa water?

M. D.

Pretty much this
The 2008 NEC requires the installation of conductive metal fitting(s) or equipment totaling a
minimum surface area of 9 square inches (equivalent to metal strip in underwater pool light
fixture) in contact with water and bonded with the equipotential grid to mitigate the neutral-earth
voltages.

This bond shall be permitted to consist of the parts that are required to be bonded in 680.26(b).

This is a good article to save a link to just click http://ecmweb.com/mag/electric_code_changes_13/
I think he wrote the complete 680.26 change

Thank you Mr. Holt

Last edited:

wawireguy

The water is bonded at the heater. The ground bar in the tub is bonded to the heater which is a stainless steel tube so you've bonded the water at that point. The idea that a tub without a bonding grid is unsafe is questionable in my opinion. These tubs are GFCI protected. The tubs are plastic. The heaters are stainless and bonded. The pumps are bonded with factory wiring or double insulated. Any fault is going to trip the GFCI. And as far as my hot tub being installed without a bonding grid after contacting the AJH. There might be some thing in the WAC or their interpretation of the NEC that supports their position.

M. D.

Now , I have wired a fair amount of pools (hate them) , hot tubs and hydro tubs , I have yet to see a double insulated pump motor, correct me if I'm wrong , but isn't a 25' cord part of the listing requirement for those bad boys

cadpoint

elohr46 said:
If the spa contains no metal parts and your pump motor is double insulated, what do you intend to bond the EBG to?

If you bonded the/a grid would you not be ahead of the minimum ! ? ?

wawireguy

By double insulated, I really ment a plastic pump. : ) Sure you would but have you priced copper lately? And can't have the AJH looking at you like your a idiot, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.