Arlington catering to the hack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
LarryFine said:
Hey, I never said I actually spent that much on my system, only that it was worth that much.

I was wondering when you would pop in. :grin:

Isn't real life much better sound and higher definition?

iwire

Staff member
In the past couple of weeks I have literally been all over CT.

Many areas where very very nice :cool: ..... where I was in Bridgeport I felt the need to lock my doors even while moving.

stickboy1375

iwire said:

Many areas where very very nice :cool: ..... where I was in Bridgeport I felt the need to lock my doors even while moving.

I hear ya, Hartford, Waterbury, pretty much the same feeling, just the crazy city life I guess. I live in the country, we have grass and everything. :grin:

peter d

stickboy1375 said:
I hear ya, Hartford, Waterbury, pretty much the same feeling, just the crazy city life I guess.

I had to drive through Hartford one night and I pretty much ran stop lights (after stopping) and drove as fast as I could to get out of there.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
I was wondering when you would pop in. :grin:
"Here I come to save the daaaaaaaaay!"

Isn't real life much better sound and higher definition?
Yep! When I hear people say stuff like "Don't run your video through the receiver, because it degrades the signal." I respond with "You're watching a recording instead of being at the event live. Isn't that the ultimate signal degradation?!"

I do know where one can purchase a 10-foot (excuse me, 3 meter :cool:) pair of speaker wires for a cool $15K. PJ and I call stuff like that "the emperor's new wires."

quogueelectric

iwire said:

Yes you never know when the cow is going from the powerhouse to the ferry over there. Hey you cant live forever steel point is perfectly safe now. Is that new turbine still spinning??

Last edited:

mark32

quogueelectric said:
Thats because they always try to buy shortest length. I was taught by a home theatre guy to install component rca cables rgb and red white for audio I get 25 footers and 12 1/2 on ebay for less than 20 bucks for no callbacks on hdmi frozen screens. f they want hdmi I will put it in but not without a callback price warning.

Frozen screens? Are you saying that if one were to use an expensive HDMI cable there is a change for the screen to freeze up? Is this a common problem?

stickboy1375

mark32 said:
Frozen screens? Are you saying that if one were to use an expensive HDMI cable there is a change for the screen to freeze up? Is this a common problem?

I've never heard of it either, I use HDMI cables, and have never had a problem. I only use the TV for switching video as well. Never seen a stereo installer use a receiver.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I like this style of plate. It eliminates a connection, and any connection is place where the cable can fail. It also allows you to push any excess cable into the wall cavity.

While I agree that every termination is a new point of failure, I've seen too many cables get damaged over time. I'd rather pay up front for quality terminations and replace a 5foot jumper than have to replace a 25' run of composite that's been fished thru the wall... or in my line of business it is more often the 300' run of shileded/twisted pair.

peter d

iwire said:
George , first let me say I do use Arlington products for many things, that aside I have always considered their products to be cheaply made bottom of the barrel stuff.

I think Arlington stuff is really geared toward the residential contractor. I know they make a full line of fittings but I don't really even consider using their metal products because as you said they are pretty much junk. But they are quite innovative with the plastic products.

quogueelectric

mark32 said:
One of my best friends works for a very high end audio/video company and he told me this about 4 yrs ago that this is why they prefer to instal component video/audio to plasmas that it reduces callbacks.
at this time we were still turning the corner with dvi and dvc technology the last two years or so hdmi seems to be the newest and best that we are going with.
At first I didnt believe it until I had my own plasma at home. and as sure as he told me it would lock up about once a month or so. My wife would call me at work and ask me how to fix it. I used to shut down the converter and reboot it but that took a lot of time.
The faster way I found to correct it is to switch to annother channel then back again and this seems to work fine. I just picked up the newest hd converter which upgraded me from dvi and an hdmi adapter to straight hdmi.
I dont know if the new converter has ever locked up but I do know I have never seen component video freeze the screen which was my whole point.

quogueelectric

stickboy1375 said:
I've never heard of it either, I use HDMI cables, and have never had a problem. I only use the TV for switching video as well. Never seen a stereo installer use a receiver.
Using the tv as the video switch will require a video cable for each and every input Thats a lot of cable in a wallmount

George Stolz said:
I saw an ad for this new device from Arlington in EC&M this month, and I couldn't help but think that this was sort of a de-volution of their ever broadening line of generally clever products.

Do you think it's a sign of lower quality to run a speaker cable directly out of the wall as opposed to installing a terminal plate to connect the speakers to?

I understand, the more terminations the more resistance and the lower sound quality, perhaps, but I have never liked the practice of running straight out of the wall. This seems to embrace and encourage that. What do you think?

http://www.aifittings.com/whnew112.htm

It definetly has a cheap, unfinished look that they attempt to cover up.

Pro: I am against unnecesary termination and splice point. It degrades the signal quality, nevermind the pinout issues.

Con: I wish that it would clamp and seal the cable(s) in some fashion to prevent pullout and the migration of dust from the wall cavity into the living areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.