Using MR-16 type LED bulbs with Low-Voltage transformer fitted housings

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMacky

Hi,

I have been working with an LED lighting "laboratory" of sorts and receiving samples of various products to try out in residential lighting scenarios.

One of the issues I have been pondering is regarding multiple recessed light fixtures. The LED MR-16 bulbs are 6W and to drive them requires a 12vac source, like on a recessed housing for a typical MR-16 halogen. However, I would suspect that the integral transformers on these products have a low-end threshold for the load to get the transformer to drive the bulb(s). I've found this issue to be true when doing niche lighting where you may only have 1 puck light at 20W on a 75W low-voltage electronic transformer. The dimmer had a lot to do with what worked best in that situation. The mfr indicated a magnetic dimmer would work but with the low (20W) load I had to go with an electronic LV dimmer for the single fixture. Anyhow...

I was wondering if anyone out there has experimented with ganging several LED bulbs like the type I mentioned together, and powering these through one fixed transformer on one recessed LV can, where the remaining fixtures are simply piggy-backed to the "mother" can's power, so to speak. I am also wondering if any code infractions come to mind in doing so. I guess there may be a listing violation on a can if I were to swap the incandescent socket with an MR-16 pigtail, but we are talking low-voltage and a 6W load at each can.

Simply put, I am looking for LED lighting solutions that aren't (as far as I know) commercially available, yet. If anyone knows of a product that is designed to drive an LED bulb mounted in a standard 3" can, I'd appreciate hearing about it or any other suitable and relevant comments you may have regarding my post.

I am trying to come up with a system where I can have a central transformer for one lighting circuit that drives multiple cans, to avoid the expense of all the LV cans and issues as stated above with the 6W load.

Please understand I have not experimented with this as of yet, but want to hear from anyone that may have had similar ideas or has tried this and had good results. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.