410.18(b) ex 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

resistance

Am I reading this 410.18(B) ex. 1 correctly, or did I have too much Star bucks?
The exception from the above mentioned article refers us to 250.130(c)--which states: The equipment grounding conductor of a grounding type-receptacle or a branch-circuit extension shall be permitted to be connected to any of the following:
Excep(1) Any accessible point on the grounding electrode system as described in 250.50
Does this mean you can run a single EGC from any accessible branch circuit equipment grounding conductor to ground a non-grounded light fixture?

Occupation
Inspector
Let me rephrase, I would say that you can attach to any part of the Grounding Electrode System. I'm not sure of the last part of your statement "...Does this mean you can run a single EGC from any accessible branch circuit equipment grounding conductor.."

Last edited:

M. D.

At first I wanted to say no ,.. but the words say what they say ,so I think you can ..

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Where is the EGC mentioned in 250.50? The exception permits a connection to the grounding electrode system as described in 250.50. It does not permit a connection to an EGC.

resistance

Just trying to brain storm the article. Ok, if the branch circuit originates from the main service rate panel, then wouldn?t this justify the EGC as being apart of the grounding electrode system

M. D.

So the "system" is just the electrodes and the bonding jumpers.

I like what George stoltz Had to say back in 2005,

How about adding a FPN to 250.130(C):

Quote:
FPN: See 250.4(A)(5). The purpose of this equipment grounding conductor is to open an overcurrent protection device in the event of a fault.

Or something along these lines.
Honestly, IMO, from the outside looking in, this section appears to be concerned with "grounding" equipment, not "bonding" equipment. Something should be clarified.

For perspective, see 680.26(A)'s FPN. That little note speaks volumes. I believe something similar should be in 250.130(C).

resistance

don_resqcapt19 said:
Where is the EGC mentioned in 250.50? The exception permits a connection to the grounding electrode system as described in 250.50. It does not permit a connection to an EGC.
Sorry don, didn't see your post until after I posted my last! :)

To answer your question, "It's not"! See my last.

Thanks!

Last edited:

resistance

M. D. said:
So the "system" is just the electrodes and the bonding jumpers.

I like what George stoltz Had to say back in 2005,

Great point!

This is why I'm trying to get a grip on the articles I presented.

frizbeedog

resistance said:
Just trying to brain storm the article. Ok, if the branch circuit originates from the main service rate panel, then wouldn?t this justify the EGC as being apart of the grounding electrode system

No .

frizbeedog

resistance said:

What if your EGC is EMT?

Is that part of the Grounding Electrode System?

No.

M. D.

You know the funny thing ? Running a conductor to the nearest properly sized egc would , in most cases , be a superior connection for handling a fault owing to 250.148 and the requirement to join equipment grounding conductors where circuit conductors are spliced or terminated ,... a spider web of low impedance connections right back to the grounded conductor.

resistance

M. D. said:
You know the funny thing ? Running a conductor to the nearest properly sized egc would , in most cases , be a superior connection for handling a fault owing to 250.148 and the requirement to join equipment grounding conductors where circuit conductors are spliced or terminated ,... a spider web of low impedance connections right back to the grounded conductor.

I agree!
We could always hit an accessible cold water pipe, yet would this be more reliable. I think not!

M. D.

Water pipes are no longer required to be electrically continuous so you would need to hit it within 5' of the point of entrance.

I think an argument could be made that grabbing the nearest properly sized EGC could be less reliable due to the fact that circuits are abandoned / removed from time to time who would know the EGC was bonding our fixture ???

What if we had 10 fixtures ? would each fixture require an individual run to the grounding electrode system or could we daisy chain them???

Status
Not open for further replies.