Article 409

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWITT

Does Article 409 Of The N.e.c. Pertain To Main Distribution Panels, As Well As Industrial Control Panels. (example) Were Installing A New Production Line, That Consist Of 8 Machines 3 Phase 208 Volt. We Have Determined That We Need A 1600 Amp Switchboard To Supply Power. I Have Been Told That In Order To Stay Below 5000 Amps Of Available Short Circuit Current, I Need To Set Multiple Panels. I Just Can't Believe This Article Pertains To Distribution Panels. Iam I All Wrong In My Thinking?

cschmid

article 409 does not cover distribution panels..
This is what is says in NEC Handbook about section 409

I. General
409.1 Scope.
This article covers industrial control panels intended for general use and operating at 600 volts or less.
FPN: UL 508A is a safety standard for industrial control panels.
Article 409 was introduced in the 2005 NEC and provides installation and construction requirements for industrial control panels. These field- and factory-assembled control panels are used for the control and operation of a multitude of processes, from a sewerage pump station to an industrial process line. Similar in function to motor control centers in some regards, control panels also contain control, overcurrent protection, and power distribution equipment for operation of industrial heating processes, robotics, spray painting and powder coating lines, and countless other processes.
409.2 Definitions.
Section 409.2 provides a definition for industrial control panel that is compatible with industry product standards such as UL 508A, Industrial Control Panels. For the 2008 Code, the definition of control circuit was added and the definition of industrial control panel was revised to include panels with two or more control components.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
GWITT said:
Does Article 409 Of The N.e.c. Pertain To Main Distribution Panels, As Well As Industrial Control Panels. (example) Were Installing A New Production Line, That Consist Of 8 Machines 3 Phase 208 Volt. We Have Determined That We Need A 1600 Amp Switchboard To Supply Power. I Have Been Told That In Order To Stay Below 5000 Amps Of Available Short Circuit Current, I Need To Set Multiple Panels. I Just Can't Believe This Article Pertains To Distribution Panels. Iam I All Wrong In My Thinking?

Switchboards and panelboards are in Article 408.

Even though 409 is only for Industrial Control panels, it does not contain any restrictions of available fault current. 409 requires labeling of control panels so that their SCCR is easily identified. It is 110.10 that requires equipment to have the correct SCCR for the location where it is installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.