Feeder Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryAnderson

When partially replacing a conduit and feeder by installing a pull box in the run, it is common to cut off the conduit, shorten the remaing piece of conduit, attach a box and extend the conduit to another location. Solicing of the old feeder is done to the new feeder in the new box.

Article 300.18 seems to preclude doing this. Where would one find an exception?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Welcome to the Forum.
I have never given it much thought as the method you state is pretty commonplace. After reading 300.18 more closely, I can see that being interpreted as a violation, however, I don't see many folks getting called for it.

Perhaps we will have added input.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't believe 300.18 is saying that. It is basically wanting the raceway to be complete between pull points. Some contractors think it is okay to slide the conduit over the wire as the go. This usually happens underground rather than overhead. The NEC wants to insure that a run of new wire can easily be installed without taking the conduit apart.

Certainly if the old feeder was installed and you are adding a closer pull box taking out some of the run there should be no issue.

Last edited:

joebell

I can see where one might say this is a violation but for it to be a violation the AHJ would have to be standing beside you between the time the raceway is cut and the installation of the junction box.

iwire

Staff member
I don't think there is any question it is a violtion in the CMPs eyes, if not I doubt there would be any need for the wording regarding utilization equipment

300.18 Raceway Installations.
(A) Complete Runs.
Raceways, other than busways or exposed
raceways having hinged or removable covers, shall be
installed complete between outlet, junction, or splicing points
prior to the installation of conductors. Where required to facilitate
the installation of utilization equipment, the raceway
shall be permitted to be initially installed without a terminating
connection at the equipment.
Prewired raceway assemblies
shall be permitted only where specifically permitted in this
Code for the applicable wiring method.

Exception: Short sections of raceways used to contain
conductors or cable assemblies for protection from physical
damage shall not be required to be installed complete
between outlet, junction, or splicing points.

That said, of course I am guilty of that violation as well and also hope inspectors look the other way.

iwire

Staff member
I can see where one might say this is a violation but for it to be a violation the AHJ would have to be standing beside you between the time the raceway is cut and the installation of the junction box.

Oh, the old if no one saw it happen it is not a violation exception.:D

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I don't believe 300.18 is saying that. It is basically wanting the raceway to be complete between pull points. Some contractors think it is okay to slide the conduit over the wire as the go. This usually happens underground rather than overhead. The NEC wants to insure that a run of new wire can easily be installed without taking the conduit apart.

Certainly if the old feeder was installed and you are adding a closer pull box taking out some of the run there should be no issue.

I see pool contractors do this all the time and I just think "HACK".

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
proof the code is fallible

proof the code is fallible

This is proof that the NEC does not always get it right, or at least make things practical. Can you imagine changing a panel can in a remodel. If you follow this code you would have to pull the wire out of every conduit before starting. It would be like driving 55 in the fast lane back in the 80's

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
This is proof that the NEC does not always get it right, or at least make things practical. Can you imagine changing a panel can in a remodel. If you follow this code you would have to pull the wire out of every conduit before starting. It would be like driving 55 in the fast lane back in the 80's

Micheal J Fox can get you "Back To The 80's"

Status
Not open for further replies.