680.26 Equipotential Bonding History

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortcircuit2

I think it was in 2005 for swimming pools and hot tubs outdoors. The theory is to have the surface area around the pool at the same potential as the pool equipment. But they forgot the water...so in 2008 they added the water.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The earliest Code at my fingertips is 1999 and it hada lot of the same bonding requirements in 680.22

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have a pool built in the early 70's. It has the requisite #8 in the concrete deck, light niche, and I'm assuming the rebar. There's a tail in the pump room to go to the pumps.

ritelec

Grounding water has me a bit baffled.

In a pool possible use of a ladder, a 9in sq. electrode in the water, something in the pool pump filter line either manufactured or electrician made???

Must research more................

What would one do with a Hot Tub? Lay a piece of metal in it? That don't sound (and probably doesn't look) right.

On ward.

And welcome to the Forum marcmm.

hurk27

For those who don't understand the theory of why it is required to bond the water:

If you have a plastic lined pool and a two wire appliance is dropped into the pool there would be no path to ground that would trip the GFCI, there has been a few experiments that show this, place a large plastic bucket on the ground and fill it with water plug in a two wire device into a GFCI protected outlet and drop it in, the GFCI will only see a line to neutral load thus not tripping, if you were in that bucket you would be in the voltage gradients and could be electrocuted, now put a grounded piece of metal in the water and the GFCI trips.

Here is a link to a video that Mike Holt produce that explains this:
Mike Holt discusses Stray Voltage

It kind of long but full of very good information, the part of the above is toward the end

ritelec

Thanks hurk27,

The technique has me wondering..........at one of the ceu's they mentioned manufactures are now making an in line with filter pump, also saw (I think a Dennis) post explaining a DIY in line. Tried a search, will try again.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.