Efficiency of metal halide lamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

codeunderstanding

About how much efficient would a metal halide flood light be as compared to a 500 watt halogen flood light. A 175 watt metal halide flood would be replacing the 500 watt halogen ones? The halogen floods just dont seem to last all that long.

peter d

Comparing halogen to metal halide is like comparing carburetours to modern computer controlled fuel injection.

The only major advantages of quartz halogen is instant on (no warm up like MH) and light color quality (100 CRI.)

mdshunk

How much more efficient? You pretty much answered your own question, since 175 is much less than 500, isn't it? :wink: Consequently, I try to never install double ended quartz fixtures. Not only is the lamp life short, but the lampholder ends are prone to frequent failure and hard to source.

codeunderstanding

mdshunk said:
How much more efficient? You pretty much answered your own question, since 175 is much less than 500, isn't it? :wink: Consequently, I try to never install double ended quartz fixtures. Not only is the lamp life short, but the lampholder ends are prone to frequent failure and hard to source.

Boy isn't that the truth.

The metal halides that I just installed over a stairwell 2 weeks ago have an estimated lifespan of 9000 hrs or 375 days. The light output seems remarkable for consuming only 35 watts per fixture. Hopefully led technology will advance to the point that I will be able to replace the MH's with some HO led product with a + 50,000 hr lifespan.

codeunderstanding said:
About how much efficient would a metal halide flood light be as compared to a 500 watt halogen flood light. A 175 watt metal halide flood would be replacing the 500 watt halogen ones? The halogen floods just dont seem to last all that long.

500W Quartz Halogen
2000 hrs life
Initial lumens 11100
Efficacy: 22 lmn/W

175W Metal Halide
10000 hrs life
mean lumens 14000
Initial lumens 22000
Efficacy: 80 lmn/W

In plain english you get 260% more light out of the same wattage, or using 35% of the energy and getting 26% more average light.

Status
Not open for further replies.