Romex in conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnJ0906

I was having a discussion with someone, who told me that NM-B is not permitted in a conduit.
I told him that the NEC allows this. ( Article 3**-22 for each conduit type)
He replied that the fittings were not listed for it. After checking, I did find that he is correct (pg 100, UL white book)
He then said that MN-B is not listed for use in a conduit.
I cannot find anything in the white book to prove or disprove this.

Does anyone know of a UL standard that backs him up?

480sparky

JohnJ0906 said:
...(pg 100, UL white book)...

What year are you looking at? I have the 2006, and page 100 makes no mention of NM or raceways.

Edit to add: Wouldn't one of these (280-DC) work?:

EMTtoNM.jpg

Last edited:

JohnJ0906

I agree. The point of contention is his statement that the cable needs to be listed for use in a conduit. I see nothing in the White Book to support him.

I was hopeing someone more familiar with listings than me could point out where this is, or if it is even true.

JohnJ0906

C3PO said:
What about 334.12(A)(1) exception?

This really isn't a contention about the NEC - it is allowed by Article 334 and the various conduit articles.
This person is claiming that the listing of NM-b prohibits it from being installed in conduit.

charlie

I have just searched the UL White Book and UL does not prohibit the installation of NM cable in raceways and Section 334.12(A)(1) Exception states, "Type NM, NMC, and NMS cable shall be permitted in Type I and II construction when installed within raceways permitted to be installed in Type I and II construction."

The following is from the NEC Handbook:
Users should be aware that Type NM, nonmetallic-sheathed cables are generally not permitted to be installed Type I and Type II construction. This exception, new for the 2008 Code, points out that Type NM, nonmetallic-sheathed cables may be permitted to be installed in Type I and Type II construction but only if they are installed within permitted raceways. To find permitted raceways, investigate the specific raceway application, then the general requirements of Article 300, and finally review the raceways of Chapter 3 for application. The 12 most common types of raceways are found in Articles 342 through 362. Specifically, review each article for Uses Permitted (Section __________.10) and for Uses Not Permitted (Section __________.12) to determine applicability. Of course, this suggested course of action does not provide a fail-safe checklist, because all NEC requirements apply where applicable.

sandsnow

Wow, I got burned on this a long time ago. My first post here I think.

I went off what someone had told me. Someone who should have known better or at least I thought he should have. That was that NM is not listed for use in conduit.

Wrong!!! Bryan from florida called me on the carpet with that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.