Bonding Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gac66610

are they "water - pipe" clamps, or thats what we call them
I think they are just pipe clamps, EMT is tubing or pipe

I have used them for underground riser, one POCO near here requires rigid pipe for risers, with a slip joint which is PVC
so we use large pipe clamps for bonding

You must check with the clamp manufacturer. There are many different styles of "water pipe" clamps. Some are bronze, some are zinc, some are rated for direct burial and others are not. I know some manufacturers list them for use with copper and galvanized water pipe, ground rods, and even rebar. Each product's UL listing is unique to that product and indicates the specific applications for which it is listed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
They are grounding or bonding clamps and more important is what they are listed for. As long as the clamp is listed for the size conduit I don't think it is an issue.

Zee

Nice pic!I have no idea, but those conductors may be required to be #6 ( if not already), as they are not protected underneath panels or in conduit.

adverdsmith

I have used them for underground riser, one POCO near here requires rigid pipe for risers, with a slip joint which is PVC so we use large pipe clamps for bonding

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Just doing a quick search on that type of connector, all of them were specific about water pipe, some listed rod but none were listed as being acceptable for use on EMT.

I have never seen anyone use that type of clamp on EMT and if I were the inspector I would require something from the manufacturer stating they were listed for use on EMT. I doubt they will be.

Edit to add:

I didn't search long enough. This one, at least, is listed for use with EMT, according to the site selling them.

http://www.calibex.com/Thomas-And-Betts-L1601-530730333/cb2/prices-html

More edit:

I could not find that clamp on the T&B site. All the clamps of that style were for water pipe with no mention of EMT. I think for it to count, it has to be from the manufacturer, not from the ad of a distributor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.