Before my time.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jflynn

76nemo said:
This is in an old house where they it want reworked, but it's almost full of AL. I will install a new service but only if they are willing to place AFCI's on all the circuits with AL. They have someone who is willing to redo the service as is with regular breakers. They want me to do it, but I will not cut any corners to please their cost. Like many other resi's up here, most of it is two-wire. Some of the two-wire is protected now by GFCI's. They are friends, but I won't do the job unless they comply with what I want done. It's either done the way I want it, or someone else can do it. No hard feelings.

I don't need the job that bad to cut corners and leave the old work. My way or the highway, now comes the bashings:rolleyes:

Maybe not, anyone disagree? I ran loop impedance testings on all of the circuits, and all of them seem fine. I don't care what my meter says, it's protected properly, or not done by me.

Go ahead, let the opinions rip:smile:

FYI-if you end up doing the work be cautious-those shingels look like ASBESTOS....

amptech

Those are plain old meter bases from the 40s-50s. There are around 600 of them still in use here in New Castle, IN. They are "wire-in" meters, not plug ins. We change them out during service upgrades. They are 60A rated and usually the conductors terminated on the bus bars are completely free of any insulation or covering. It is usually found in a melted pile in the bottom of the housing. The inside conductors are usually solid #8 copper. These meter bases usually include a bird or mouse nest as well.

K2500

electricalperson said:
he should have the homeowner get that stuff tested, i also agree it could be asbestos, thats a pretty common sight around here

That stuff is easy to break, just fine if you leave it alone. I've got it on my house, the pain is in the replacement and repair.

cadpoint

K2500 said:
That stuff is easy to break, just fine if you leave it alone. I've got it on my house, the pain is in the replacement and repair.
You need to stop coming here and as earlier said, "Heavy Up" ...

"Is there a problem with Gravitation", the professor asked? / Back to the Future...

mdshunk

brian john said:
Horse at the track yesterday was Darth Tater. And I go to the track once a year. I know nothing about gambling or the horses.
I have a customer that is an off-track wagering parlor. There's guys that sit in there all day surrounded by 4 to 6 of their own laptops. Unbelievable. I guess they're making money? The place has about 200 televisions. It's hard to believe how many horse races are going on someplace in the world during any given minute of the day.

K2500

cadpoint said:

"Is there a problem with Gravitation", the professor asked? / Back to the Future...

Don't know what a heavy up is, figured it was a service upgrade. Also, what are you talking about?

mdshunk

I never heard "heavy up" until I got on the internet. It refers to a service upgrade where you're also going to a larger service size.

K2500

mdshunk said:
I never heard "heavy up" until I got on the internet. It refers to a service upgrade where you're also going to a larger service size.

Thanks for the lingo help, google didnt help me on that one.

cadpoint said:

By here I guess you mean this forum, so I guess you'll be hearing from me much more often around here.
What does that have to do with a service upgrade?

Do you mean they will be disturbing the asbestos, hence my response was out of line?

What does any of that have to do with back to Back to the Future?

mdshunk

K2500 said:
What does any of that have to do with back to Back to the Future?
It's a line from the movie. Marty uses an expression, something like, "Whoa! Heavy". The Professor Brown immediately becomes concerned that there's something wrong with gravity in the future.

K2500

mdshunk said:
It's a line from the movie. Marty uses an expression, something like, "Whoa! Heavy". The Professor Brown immediately becomes concerned that there's something wrong with gravity in the future.

I guess the guy's were right, I don't have a sense of humor.:)

480sparky

mivey said:
Nobody's that young are they?

2008-1985 = 23. Most kids won't remember a movie like that until they're 4 or 5, so they may have been born in '80 or '81.

Or they could be older, just have never seen the movie.

mdshunk said:
An 18 year old apprentice was born in 1990. (I thought I'd dazzle you with my mad math skills :) )

We know how you do this, Marc:

sliderule.jpg

Last edited:

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
brian john said:
Horse at the track yesterday was Darth Tater. And I go to the track once a year. I know nothing about gambling or the horses.[/QUOTE]

All you need to know is at the end you get the same thing from both S--T :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.