Laughable...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky 134

So I talked with an out-of-state contractor who is seeking licensed, insured EC's to perform work inside the Einstein Bagel's stores. The work consists of:

Option 1: Cut in a 20amp receptacle, install up to 15' of flex to the nearest unswitched 120v source, help their low voltage tech. hang the flat panel TV onto the wall brackets (brackets installed by their tech) $135.00

Option 2: Same as above but includes up to 50' of pipe/flex. $240.00

Option 3: Cut in the recep, install a dedicated circuit from the panel up to 150', help hang the TV. $480.00

The work to be performed during business hours so you will be working around the customers.

I said, "Our minimum charge for this type of work would be $300.00"

He said, "But the potential exists for a LOT of work from us."

I said, "OK, but I would still be losing money on every job if I only charged $135.00."

He said, "Blah blah blah blah blah blah (or that's what I heard)"

Amazing, drive anywhere from 30 to 50 miles and only bill out $135.00.

Did I mention you need to be licensed, insured and carry workman's comp ?

brian john

I love this philosophy, Do this at a loss and there is work down the road. Give me the profitable work now and while I am there I'll do the other stuff at a reasonable price.

Old carrot in front of the horse.

crossman

The trunkslammers would be jumpin' all over that, all day long!

I had never heard the term "trunkslammer" until I saw it here at the forum. I am kind of fond of it, and try to use it whenever I get the chance.:grin:

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
crossman said:
I had never heard the term "trunkslammer" until I saw it here at the forum. I am kind of fond of it, and try to use it whenever I get the chance.:grin:
We used to call those guys 'Station Wagon Electric' but the mini-van killed that.

Rawls007

This is like the contractor who wants you to give him a discount on a house because he plans on building 50 more....... notice the keyword PLANS, but we all know in reality it never happens.

This is the line I usually use when they say that: "I'll tell what, I'll do the first 49 for regular price, and the 50th will be free!;)

acwservices

Vinniem said:
Sad to say, he'll find someone to do it for that price.

really screws it up for everyone else.

You're right, someone will take it at the offered price- however, since license and insurance is required, doesn't that eliminate the trunkslammers? I have dealt with these "nationwide" electrical contractors before, and they always require a certificate of insurance, but hardly ever want a copy of my electrical license. Especially the "nationwide" lighting companies- most of them do not even have an electrical license themselves. Their comment is usually something along the line of "it's only a ballast change or a retrofit, you don't need a license for that." Sorry about the change in the direction of this thread, I just get frustrated with these "nationwide" contractors comming to town with no regard for the licensing laws.

mivey

emahler said:
do you think they know what they are doing or are they really that clueless?
I would vote clueless. Kind of like the old joke: "we lose money on each widget but we will make it up in volume"

mivey

acwservices said:
You're right, someone will take it at the offered price- however, since license and insurance is required, doesn't that eliminate the trunk-slammers?
I suspect that when they find out they can't get anyone but trunk slammers, that is the direction they will go. They probably have already promised EB that they can get the job done for a certain price.

sparky 134 said:
So I talked with an out-of-state contractor who is seeking licensed, insured EC's to perform work inside the Einstein Bagel's stores. The work consists of:

Option 1: Cut in a 20amp receptacle, install up to 15' of flex to the nearest unswitched 120v source, help their low voltage tech. hang the flat panel TV onto the wall brackets (brackets installed by their tech) $135.00

Option 3: Cut in the recep, install a dedicated circuit from the panel up to 150', help hang the TV. $480.00

The work to be performed during business hours so you will be working around the customers.

I said, "OK, but I would still be losing money on every job if I only charged $135.00."

He supplies the material, right?

It may work if you install 100 at a single place, of course it depends on your hourly rate. But your insurance prohibits you from working as a helper for other trades. So either you install the flat for another $37, or charge T&M for it as needed.

So you can get back to the guy and negotiate. Tell him what your travel charges are, that gets charged at each occurance, per the mile. Tell him what you charge for downtime, if you can't get around the customers.

john_axelson

Another item to take into account

Another item to take into account

The companies like this one, that I have dealt with in the past are also known for not paying any sooner than 90 days.

Just a thought

Just a thought

You could always submit a bid for each item based on what it would cost you. That could leave the door open if they can't find someone who is licensed to do the work. You might want to add a foot note to your bid stating your charges double or accrue interest if not paid in 30 days.:roll:

teco

sparky 134 said:

I might hang the flat T.V. for the 480.00. I'd Be curious as to what their paying the L.V. tech?

growler

sparky 134 said:

I once told a GC that I wouldn't watch him do the work for that kind of money ( I wasn't joking ).

I really don't think he will find anyone for that kind of money not even a trunk slammer ( you do have to be able to buy gas to get to the job ).

Edit: I just filled up and that's just about the price of a tank of gas now. That sucks.

Last edited:
growler said:
I once told a GC that I wouldn't watch him do the work for that kind of money ( I wasn't joking ).

I really don't think he will find anyone for that kind of money not even a trunk slammer ( you do have to be able to buy gas to get to the job ).

Edit: I just filled up and that's just about the price of a tank of gas now. That sucks.

Radio A/V Store ad this morning:

'Hang your plasma for $49.95, $229.95 with brackets!'

(I don't know how can they do it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.