Inspectors are funny

Status
Not open for further replies.

swollard

As an inspector I have no problem admitting it when I am wrong. That being said, according to your situation about the receptacle location 12" from the floor. If you would have asked me if I wanted you to go get a code book, my resonse to you would be yes and get a tape measure, and all of your lode calculations for every single circuit in the house because we are going to be here for a while.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
swollard said:
As an inspector I have no problem admitting it when I am wrong. That being said, according to your situation about the receptacle location 12" from the floor. If you would have asked me if I wanted you to go get a code book, my resonse to you would be yes and get a tape measure, and all of your lode calculations for every single circuit in the house because we are going to be here for a while.

And why don't you send a guy around to remove all the plates so that we can check the grounding on all the switces and outlets and grab your tourque wrench while you're at it and we'll check the panel too.........:grin:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
swollard said:
So you take challenges to inspection calls personally?

iwire

Staff member
swollard said:
If you would have asked me if I wanted you to go get a code book, my resonse to you would be yes and get a tape measure, and all of your lode calculations for every single circuit in the house because we are going to be here for a while.

To me that is just extortion and is really wrong.

swollard

I have a very good working relationship with most of the electricians in our jurisdiction. Things like this usually do not happen. I dont think there are very many contractors out there who want us to pull a code book out for every inspection. We do not have time nor do most contractors to look at every inch of wire in a home. It could have been worked out without the contractor making a smart A@! remark like that.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
swollard said:
No, but apparently the electrician did when the inspector looked at the receptacle location.
Do you consider the 12" height to be a violation? As long as it's within 3' of the basin rim, height isn't a specific requirement.

I don't mean to be argumentative; I just don't grasp your position on it.

stickboy1375

swollard said:

why? I was trying to teach the guy somthing.

swollard

No, I think the installation is ok. Not ideal, but ok and not a code violation. My problem is with the way the electrician handled the situation with his comment about the code book. I would never abuse my power by extortion, but if someone wants to bring up the code book we can apply it to the entire installation if they would like.

mpd

swollard

the comment you made about a contractor that gives you a hard time, will have to jump thru hoops to pass, is not a very smart statement, unless you do that type of inspection to every contractor not just the ones that don't agree with you that is called selective enforcement, and can get you in trouble,

swollard

My point was if the contractor wants to do his inspection with the code book it is my duty to ablige his request. Every inspection is done with code knowledge not just the ones who request it. Doing things by code is not jumping through hoops last time I checked.

mivey

swollard said:
My point was if the contractor wants to do his inspection with the code book it is my duty to ablige his request. Every inspection is done with code knowledge not just the ones who request it. Doing things by code is not jumping through hoops last time I checked.
Are you willing to admit you spouted off and are now trying to spin it? There is no shame in admitting you may have posted a little overboard, we all do it at times. I have read your original post and it is hard to read it any other way than "I'll teach YOU to try to teach me". Come on, admit it, it won't hurt.:)

swollard

Maybe a little overboard, point is we could all solve alot of headaches by not jumping to conclusions. It goes both ways.

dcspector

swollard said:
Maybe a little overboard, point is we could all solve alot of headaches by not jumping to conclusions. It goes both ways.

Yeah I read thru this thread and I think further NEC education (classes) and understanding the intent of a said section is the key for both EC and EI.

Funny

Funny

mpd said:
fizbeedog

give it time were only on page 4, we have at least 5 or 6 more pages to go

Try 13 pages now!

I'm a combination inspector and and do not claim to know everything. If something looks out of the norm I am always willing to learn. We as inspectors learn to look for things that just don't "look right"! We know what the installation is supposed to look like but throw something out of the ordinary out there and we'll look bumfuzzled every time! I am always willing to learn and good electricians are the best teachers. You can read "the book" all you want too but putting it in place out in the field puts a different perspective on it! Hmmmmmm so that's what that means!!!!

However there are smart a$$ inspectors that try to push their authority around and when a electrician bows up to them...the fights on! On the other side there are SA electricians too. If I am questioned about a inspection I have made, I always say "Let's get the book out and see exactly what it says. I've been right...I've been wrong! I consider it a learning process. Most of the time I'm pretty mellow but there are times when you have to be forceful if the situation calls for it! Just make sure you are dead on!

amptech

Bottom line: When I call for an inspection I believe I am code compliant and ready for an inspection. I should be able to validate any part of my installation with the appropriate article/section of the NEC I am working under. The inspector has the right/responsibility to require that of me. On the flip side, the electrician should be entitled to the same validation from the inspector using the same edition of the NEC if there is a concern regarding any part of the installation.

stickboy1375

Just for the record, it didnt go down as a smarta*$$ comment, it went down as a question to the inspector if he needed me to get my codebook... As I pointed out in the first post, I didnt write the conversation we had verbatim, so alot more was said then I posted.

amptech said:
Bottom line: When I call for an inspection I believe I am code compliant and ready for an inspection. I should be able to validate any part of my installation with the appropriate article/section of the NEC I am working under. The inspector has the right/responsibility to require that of me. On the flip side, the electrician should be entitled to the same validation from the inspector using the same edition of the NEC if there is a concern regarding any part of the installation.

That is the best comprise between EC and EI I have seen posted, with no one's integrity is in peril.

wbalsam1

amptech said:

Very well said! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.