Ufer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mccayry

Working on a new resi build at the moment. The basement walls have been prebuilt and are setting on a crush/run gravel base. I placed a 5/8" grnd rod under the walls so that we could tie into the rebar. Come to find out, they wont be using any rebar, it will be fiber reinforced concrete. Should I just span a 20 ft piece of #4 copper or do you have any other suggestions. Thanks

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I would pull the rod and drop in 20' of #4 with enough extra to reach panel. Easier to toss wire in trench than pound/drive 2 rods IMO.

Probably cheaper also.
I'm a little confused here. OP says basement walls are prebuilt (precast?) and setting on a gravel base... then says they will be using fiber-reinforced concrete. Exactly what is the fiber-reinforced concrete being used for? If basement slab floor, my understanding is it does not qualify as "foundation or footing".

jumper

I'm a little confused here. OP says basement walls are prebuilt (precast?) and setting on a gravel base... then says they will be using fiber-reinforced concrete. Exactly what is the fiber-reinforced concrete being used for? If basement slab floor, my understanding is it does not qualify as "foundation or footing".

I dunno, I did not read real closely and thought there was a footer. Basement walls on a slab with no footer does not sound right.:?

Yeah, slab does not count for an area for installing a CEE.

I really only meant that a CEE is easier than rods to install IMO.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I dunno, I did not read real closely and thought there was a footer. Basement walls on a slab with no footer does not sound right.:?

Yeah, slab does not count for an area for installing a CEE.

The problem I have is convincing the AHJ there is 20'. He can see two rods and assumes they are 8' long, but doesn't assume there is 20' of #4.

I went to a meter pedestal a couple of weeks ago to install the service, and the inspector passed the install, even though the rods were only 9" apart. Don't know who built it...(just a side note)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
He said walls set on gravel base, so I don't think they set on the floor slab. Not familiar with the design, but I'm thinking the gravel serves as a self-leveling "footing". Likely a typical floor slab.

I gathered that and agree. I only commented because I don't see a yet-to-be-poured concrete foundation or footing in the OP description.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
He said walls set on gravel base, so I don't think they set on the floor slab. Not familiar with the design, but I'm thinking the gravel serves as a self-leveling "footing". Likely a typical floor slab.

I gathered that and agree. I only commented because I don't see a yet-to-be-poured concrete foundation or footing in the OP description.
Watched one being installed a couple of years ago. I don't see how it would last being set on gravel, but as usual, change frightens most.
http://www.superiorwalls.com/pdf/Energy_Smart_Foundation_in_Two_Days.pdf

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I wasn't so sure if there was a poured footing so I suggested the 2 rods but if there is a poured concrete footing I would go with the CEE.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here the electrical inspector must see the uffer before it is covered.

Same thing here, usually inspected by the building inspector checking the footing forms before pouring. Having the BI inspect should be a no-brainer but I've had problems with them in the past. :rant:

Status
Not open for further replies.