brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Dennis Alwon said:
I like these--- 220 volt units

742.jpg

1031.jpg

They sell these at our local lighting center. They start out @ $1200.

mdshunk

iaov said:
My experience has been the cheaper the fan the more of a pia it is to install.
My experience is just the opposite. Anything less than 250 bucks are all pretty much the same, no matter the brand; pretty simple and straightforward. The more expensive you get, the less familiar the pieces and parts are, and thus, more complicated to install. For instance, just try to put up a Fanamation fan without having to break out the instructions.

iaov

But the more expensive ones come with all the parts and pieces and they usually fit together with a minimum amount of violence and bad language. I have touble with directions that are translated from Mandarin too.:D

iaov

I haven't yet experienced the joy of a Fanmation but knowing you are getting out the instuctions Marc is enough for them to scare me!!:smile:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
frizbeedog said:
Retrofit Methods.

If the existing light box is on a hanger bar, I'll take the bar down and replace w/ a fan box and fan rated bar hanger. I use the one that can be installed w/o going into the attic. Takes about 10 minutes to get it setup. If there's a block, I'll remove the existing box and attach fan rated box to that block.

frizbeedog said:
Favorite Boxes.

The side-saddle westinghouse fan box.

frizbeedog said:
Best Remotes.

I don't like remotes either. I always push for in-wall fan speed controls and dimmers. I sell a lot of the lutron adriana wall controls. But if you must have a remote, the hunters seem to have the best range.

frizbeedog said:
Best and worst fans....ease of installation.

As far as standard ceiling fans, hunters take the longest. I think its hampton bay that makes a fan that has snap on blades. Within 15 minutes the entire fan can be assembled w/ a light kit.

frizbeedog said:
Tips and techniques.

I have my own order. Unpack blades, then arms, then screws.
Attach blades to bracket arms.
Install downrod (if less than 12") and canopy.
Flip fan over and attach blades to fan.
Attach light kit.
Mount fan bracket.
Hang fan.

frizbeedog said:
Relevant codes.

Currently, we're on the '05 NEC. ;)

frizbeedog said:
....and I dare you to talk about manufactured homes.

Never got that call.

chevyx92 said:
I've seen them before and always wondered how much they were. Got any idea on what one of those costs?

When I asked last year I was told Ballpark 6k for a 8' diameter unit. Best part, they move VERY slowly so you don't get all that pesky breeze, just genuine airflow.

mdshunk

iaov said:
But the more expensive ones come with all the parts and pieces and they usually fit together with a minimum amount of violence and bad language.
???? I really have no idea what you're talking about. Even the 29 dollar Harbor Breeze specials are a snap to put up. I can honesty say that putting together a paddle fan has never involved violence or bad language on my part. I also put up a heck of a lot of fans, and I've never had a bit of trouble with tolerances or the fit of the parts, no matter how cheap or expensive. Worst case, the shades for the light kit might be broken. I really do think you're talking through your hat here.

ultramegabob

mdshunk said:
???? I really have no idea what you're talking about. Even the 29 dollar Harbor Breeze specials are a snap to put up. I can honesty say that putting together a paddle fan has never involved violence or bad language on my part. I also put up a heck of a lot of fans, and I've never had a bit of trouble with tolerances or the fit of the parts, no matter how cheap or expensive. Worst case, the shades for the light kit might be broken. I really do think you're talking through your hat here.

I agree, cheap fans are easy to assemble, the only issue I ever had with them is sometimes they are out of balance, and I have no clue why they send lead weights large enough to balance a car tire in ceiling fans, I dont even attempt to balance a new fan, I just take it back and get another one,

mdshunk

ultramegabob said:
I dont even attempt to balance a new fan, I just take it back and get another one,
I only balance fans if they're really bad. Get everything good and tight to begin with and it's usually not a big issue in the end.

480sparky

mdshunk said:
I only balance fans if they're really bad. Get everything good and tight to begin with and it's usually not a big issue in the end.

Same here. But I always keep the balancing kit. A week from now, someone else is going to call me and ask me to balance their fan. Or I'll install a wobbly fan that didn't come with a kit.

frizbeedog

Included in the instructions for a ceiling fan is a warning to make sure the lower edge of the blades is not below 7'.

Anyone been cited for this or refused to install a fan for this?

Is this enforceable?

mdshunk

frizbeedog said:
Included in the instructions for a ceiling fan is a warning to make sure the lower edge of the blades is not below 7'.

Anyone been cited for this or refused to install a fan for this?

Is this enforceable?
I don't know if it's enforcable or not, but I simply don't install them if the blades will be below 7'. I don't know what my liability is if I do, but I don't want to find out. My own master bedroom fan is mounted above 7 feet, but I've still whacked my knuckles a few times when I'm getting dressed. I stick my arm though my shirt sleeve when I'm standing in the right place and Th-Whack!, caught my hand in the paddle fan blades.

masterinbama

stay clear of the so called 5 minute fans at HD. My business partner and I have both done 100's of fans it took us both an hour to put together and hang. Nothing lined up and the fasteners were poorly threaded. Guess that's why they were on the 50% off shelf. Glad it was in his house so we could use the assembly assisting language.

r_merc

OK I'm going to approach this from a different direction. Walmart sells this awful Hugger Ceiling fan where the canopy is glass with this bright brass trim rings. You have to assemble this thing from the ceiling down. It is the most annoying Ceiling fan that I have had to work on. My theory is the most expensive and the least expensive are the most difficult/time consuming fans.

Rick

mdshunk

r_merc said:
OK I'm going to approach this from a different direction. Walmart sells this awful Hugger Ceiling fan where the canopy is glass with this bright brass trim rings.
Every hugger fan is that way. YOu can't pre-assemble much except to put the blade arms on the blades.

Status
Not open for further replies.