You May Not Agree -Thats Okay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was driving between jobs and saw work going on at this new house. I had to back up as I passed it, because I just though this is wrong. I know not everyone here agrees, but I still think this is not right.
Forget about this guys method of installation (setscrew-EMT outside), look at these pictures and tell me who can safely work on this?

AC-disco-clearance1.jpg

AC-disco-clearance2.jpg

I did not enter the property, I have a pretty good zoom on my camera. :wink: :cool:

frizbeedog

I'm sure this could be maintained while de-energized, but testing....

Question.

Does the acces panel to that unit reqiure the same working clearances?

I had a discussion with an HVAC installer recently that said it did not.

But I disagreed.

Minuteman

Pierre C Belarge said:
I know not everyone here agrees, but I still think this is not right.
Forget about this guys method of installation (setscrew-EMT outside), look at these pictures and tell me who can safely work on this?

I set a disco for an A/C a while back, and just like this one, the other guy had all kinds of room to set his condenser, but chose to set it right in front of my disco. All I'm saying - which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Minuteman said:
I set a disco for an A/C a while back, and just like this one, the other guy had all kinds of room to set his condenser, but chose to set it right in front of my disco. All I'm saying - which came first, the chicken or the egg?

You may be correct, as I do not know who is responsible for the condensor location, the EC or the HVAC guys. But as you can see from this picture, there was plenty of room.
AC-disco-clearance4.jpg

Take a look at the receptacle to the right of the condensor - there is no Inuse cover.

Last edited:

quogueelectric

This picture reminds me of the last one I put in the fencing contractor put a 4x4 cedar post right in front of my disco. From now on I will leave a sign LEAVE CLEARANCE in english and spanish. The inspector didnt fail it because you could still get to it both inside and out. Pissed me off tho. Pool guy stole my breakers too.

quogueelectric

Pierre C Belarge said:
You may be correct, as I do not know who is responsible for the condensor location, the EC or the HVAC guys. But as you can see from this picture, there was plenty of room.
AC-disco-clearance4.jpg

Take a look at the receptacle to the right of the condensor - there is no Inuse cover.
Obviously the EC put his disco in first so in my opinion the hvac contractor has to move .

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
If you look closely at the second picture you can see that there are 3 holes, in a pattern that match the mounting screw holes of the disconnect , up at the highest fitting, obviously the EC put the disconnect up above the unit and the HVAC "professional" came along and lowered it, Nice work A-- H---. My guess is the seal tight the guy had wouldn't reach the box so this is how he "fixed" it. And most likely talked a bunch of crap to the HO about what a bad job the EC did by putting the disco where it should be.

M. D.

Nice catch Acrwc10 , I'll hold my comments on whether a disconnect is required to be worked on live.

iwire

Staff member
You may agree or not....

You may agree or not....

I think that the NEC should force every homeowner to place all the electrical equipment on the front wall of the home right at working height, perhaps a cement pad below the equipment the size of the working space to ensure ample standing room. Maybe a light overhead in case it gets dark.

It seems reasonable, the home owner has to live with it forever and the equipment may need to be serviced once in 5 years. :wink:

OK a bit far fetched but IMO the rules in 110.26 ask to much of installations like this.

I also agree someone other then the EC relocated this disconnect.

M. D.

Bob don't forget an equipotential bonding grid connected to and extending out three feet from the concrete pad,..that's right,.. under the grass :grin:

Minuteman

acrwc10 said:
If you look closely at the second picture you can see that there are 3 holes, in a pattern that match the mounting screw holes of the disconnect , up at the highest fitting, obviously the EC put the disconnect up above the unit and the HVAC "professional" came along and lowered it, Nice work A-- H---. My guess is the seal tight the guy had wouldn't reach the box so this is how he "fixed" it. And most likely talked a bunch of crap to the HO about what a bad job the EC did by putting the disco where it should be.
I did not see those holes until I zoomed in. I believe you are right that somebody moved it. However, it was still in the wrong place before they moved it.

Jim W in Tampa

Yes disco was moved,but by who ?When i was doing residential i learned to ask on the rough as to what side of lines they be setting the unit.That is what a GC should be doing.Other than that the first guy there picks spot.There was a 110.26 violation anyways because freon lines were in the work space.

480sparky

quogueelectric said:
Obviously the EC put his disco in first so in my opinion the hvac contractor has to move .

If so, why all the pipe? And why so low?

If I'm gonna mount the disco, I like to mount them up high enough so I don't have to get on my hands & knees to wire them

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
acrwc10 said:
If you look closely at the second picture you can see that there are 3 holes, in a pattern that match the mounting screw holes of the disconnect , up at the highest fitting, obviously the EC put the disconnect up above the unit and the HVAC "professional" came along and lowered it,
So where are the splices that lengthen the conductors?? :-?

raider1

Staff member
I know that I am probably in the minority on this one, but I still feel that an A/C disconnect, fused or un-fused, is required to meet the working space requirements of 110.26(A). It is my contention that this is the most likely location for a service tech to check for proper voltage at the condenser unit. This comes from my many years of getting service calls to trouble shoot A/C units.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.