recess lights in a fire rated ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
These won't work with remodel cans. You probably have to remove part of the ceiling and install new installation cans, put the caps on and close the ceiling. Or instead of the hats you can box the recessed light with 5/8" sheetrock.

mkgrady

These won't work with remodel cans. You probably have to remove part of the ceiling and install new installation cans, put the caps on and close the ceiling. Or instead of the hats you can box the recessed light with 5/8" sheetrock.

That would be so much extra labor that I could see most people doing without the old work recess lights where the ceiling is fire rated

GBBOLT

Cans

Cans

Sounds like you already have the holes cut for the cans and got caught by the inspector? If thats the case, you dont have much choice other than cutting the ceiling out :(

mkgrady

Sounds like you already have the holes cut for the cans and got caught by the inspector? If thats the case, you dont have much choice other than cutting the ceiling out :(

Negative. I have not started the work yet. If I have to remove enough ceiling to install fire rated cans and then have the ceiling repaired I doubt the customer will go for the cost. Maybe I will suggest track lights. Not sure what else to suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.