Labels inside of a panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

Is there a requirement for manufacturers labels. nameplate stuff, etc to be inside a panel? All panels (Siemens) in a home I looked at yesterday had nothing inside (only label was on the inside of the cover door)

Attachments

• DSCF5227.jpg
    DSCF5227.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 1

jumper

This what the NEC says:

408.58 Panelboard Marking. Panelboards shall be durably
marked by the manufacturer with the voltage and the
current rating and the number of phases for which they are
designed and with the manufacturer?s name or trademark in
such a manner so as to be visible after installation, without
disturbing the interior parts or wiring.

There are other requirements for stuff also: High leg identification, fault current, etc....

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The enclosure or cabinet is not the panelboard. The cabinet may be used with many different panelboards. The required makings will be on the panelboard (guts) covers.

tonype

This what the NEC says:

408.58 Panelboard Marking. Panelboards shall be durably
marked by the manufacturer with the voltage and the
current rating and the number of phases for which they are
designed and with the manufacturer?s name or trademark in
such a manner so as to be visible after installation, without
disturbing the interior parts or wiring.

There are other requirements for stuff also: High leg identification, fault current, etc....

Does the stuff on the panel cover mean anything in this case? Also, any idea why internal information is missing?

norcal

Doubt it as Siemens, and when those panels were branded as Gould / ITE the info has been on the door, mid to late 1970's ITE had them in the panel making them a bear to read when they were so packed full that you had to pry conductors out to read em, the old "10 pounds of manure in a 5 pound bag", CH "Classic" panels I think were one of the last to still place data inside & that ended after the CH & BR panels started sharing the same box & doors, minus some color/ dead front differences.

kwired

Electron manager
I guess if the cabinet and interior is the only one the cover fits then it is probably acceptable.

Often times they make one box and or cover that is for more than one interior panelboard. If that is the case the label will have to include information for all the possibilities, and can be confusing to identify which unit you have.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Most product labeling falls under the Listing requirements. If UL doesn't require it, I am pretty sure it won't happen.
The NEC is concerned with the item 'as installed', so as long as the info eventally is on the finished product, I think artivcle 408 is covered.

tonype

I guess if the cabinet and interior is the only one the cover fits then it is probably acceptable.

Often times they make one box and or cover that is for more than one interior panelboard. If that is the case the label will have to include information for all the possibilities, and can be confusing to identify which unit you have.

There were stampings inside the "cabinets" (I think I now have the proper term) - at the tops. Was the only marking inside. The cover door sticker "label" appeared to match. Though after reading other posts, there could be other cover that fit. Does this apply to Siemens products (these cabinets were relatively new - within last 10 years or so)?

kwired

Electron manager
There were stampings inside the "cabinets" (I think I now have the proper term) - at the tops. Was the only marking inside. The cover door sticker "label" appeared to match. Though after reading other posts, there could be other cover that fit. Does this apply to Siemens products (these cabinets were relatively new - within last 10 years or so)?

I cannot answer that as I am not all that familiar with Siemens products, and seldom install them. When I do encounter them it is usually where they are a part of an existing installation. I can tell you a lot about Square D as that is what I mostly install.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Check UL's labeling requirements for a listed panel cabinet, bussing, and trim.

Not saying anything, but improper labeling is often a sign of 'gray market' products.

kwired

Electron manager
it looks like GE (good enough) electrical breakers, but what i am wondering is this in a house or apartment complex only 3 branch circuits, what the heck????

It looks like top left breaker is 100 amps and the main lugs have same size conductor. Which is the supply, which is a(n) additional feeder?

Status
Not open for further replies.