Legal or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

growler

I was scanning Craig's List when I noticed this add. Read the add and see if it sounds kind of fishy to anyone else.

It's sound to me like they wish to hire a bunch of employees and pay them as independent contractors to do everything from plumbing to electrical work.

Even if they operate as some sort of maintenance company I don't think they could pay their employees as independent contractors ( 1099 type).

http://atlanta.craigslist.org./trd/727351429.html

c2500

It seems like they are looking for cheap unskilled/semi skilled labor. I can't imagine gettting someone to travel for that low a wage.

c2500

emahler

and we have trouble finding qualified electricians at $35/hr +benefits...

but they will probably fill their positions..

satcom

"typical deployment for our market of work will be 4 weeks. Saturday and Sunday work may be required to catch up from delays encountered during the week."

They want someone drug free, they can start the policy by stopping whatever they are on, $10 and leave the guy to pay the 1099 taxes may net him around $7 if they are lucky.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
those wages seem a little low for the atl area, but i wouldn't know for sure. $10 is good helper money here and $15/hr is what an electrician would get paid here.

satcom

brantmacga said:
those wages seem a little low for the atl area, but i wouldn't know for sure. $10 is good helper money here and $15/hr is what an electrician would get paid here.

The problem is with 1099 pay after he pays the taxes there will be little left.

wbalsam1

Take approximately 36% out for 1099. $15.00 X .36% = about $9.60 per hour to live in a motel room away from home weeks at a time. Why not just set one's tools in storage and mow lawns with the neighborhood kids?:-? (gas for the mower is $4.349 around here)

Last edited:

jeremysterling

satcom said:
The problem is with 1099 pay after he pays the taxes there will be little left.

I agree.
And I seriously doubt these "contract" workers will be setting their own hours, breaks, etc. (which would disqualify them from being true "contractors" i.e. 1099))

Minuteman

Look at the contradictions.

We are also hiring Construction Laborers to assist skilled crew members.
This is a 1099 job for independent contractors.

Which is it? A hired laborer or a independent contractor? In Oklahoma, to be qualified as an independent contractor, one must set their own prices and schedule, and carry insurance/workman's comp.

Pay scale is dependent upon the amount of experience and skill mix.
Compensation: $10-$15/hr plus hotel and per Diem when traveling

Again, is the applicants pay dependant upon experience/skill or fixed between $10-$15 per hour plus hotel and per diem?

To me it sounds like a paid North American tour for the undocumented construction class.

lbwireman

cadpoint said:
The tax laws are very specific, as to who your reporting to work - for, it looks shakey and scarey ...

Not to mention questions of licensure and certification, especially since this outfit seems to work across state lines. Had some interesting experiences with a Texas based outfit offering contracting and service work to chain outfits in our area here in CA. They wanted to use local contractures to act as subs, then pay said subs when they got paid. When we asked if they were licensed to contract in CA... <crickets>:cool: Since these guys claim to be operating nationwide and recently sent us another "offer" to bid, it seems they're still in business. If anybody's interested in further info PM me and I'll share what I know.

Last edited:

mdshunk

brian john said:
In 1973 I saw an ad in Medford Oregon newspaper, Wish I had kept that paper.

Mill Worker needed-Hard work low pay apply at 555-1212.
There's a fuel oil delivery company that has an ad in the local paper that says "experience not required, but ambition is". I guess they're having trouble finding people who actually want to work for a living.

ItsHot

"third world laborers"

"third world laborers"

Growler, this just appears to be an ad for "third world laborers"! Offering just a little more than "third world" pay!! No wonder the younger generation is not entering the building trades anymore!:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.