Sink in an electrical room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to find the constraints for a sink located in an electrical room. I know about GFCI's in proximity to sinks and such. However what is the distance restriction for a sink in proximity to a breaker panel?

dnem

"GFCI's in proximity to sinks"
No limit for GFCI to sink
More than 6 foot needed between NONGFCI plug and sink [210.8(B)(5)]

"sink in proximity to a breaker panel"
Can't have the sink below the panel [or above the panel] [110.26(F)(1)(a)]
Can't restrict approach to panel tighter than 30" [110.26(A)(2)]
Can't be in front of the panel within 36" [110.26(A)(1)]

That's it

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
dnem said:
"GFCI's in proximity to sinks"
No limit for GFCI to sink
More than 6 foot needed between NONGFCI plug and sink [210.8(B)(5)]
This is from the 08. If OP is under the 05, GFCI protection is not required within 6'.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
chris kennedy said:
This is from the 08. If OP is under the 05, GFCI protection is not required within 6'.
I guess that would depend on whether the sink in the panel room was a utility sink in a residence.

As far as the code with sinks and panels there is no rule preventing a panel from being right next to a sink. As long as you give the clearances stated-- 3' in front and 30 inches wide, etc....

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Dennis Alwon said:
I guess that would depend on whether the sink in the panel room was a utility sink in a residence.
When the OP states electric room I'm thinking other than dwelling, my good friend.:grin:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
chris kennedy said:
When the OP states electric room I'm thinking other than dwelling, my good friend.:grin:

I know what you're thinking but I was thinking maybe not- perhaps a residence. :)

peter d

mdshunk said:
A sink in an electrical room would probably be a good place to wash you hands.

I have to agree with that statement. But it sounds very dangerous. After all, washing your hands in the sink could create water vapor which might cause the bus bars to flash over, and then you'll be wishing the sink wasn't in the electric room.

I want to thank all of you that have helped with this issue. To clarify the sink in question was a later addition in an office complex attempting to create a break room.

barbeer

Charliej43 said:
I want to thank all of you that have helped with this issue. To clarify the sink in question was a later addition in an office complex attempting to create a break room.

How convenient!.............we all deserve a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.