Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

quogueelectric said:
Dont even mess with a superhawg.

What about a Super Cow?

homepage.jpg

radiopet

IN regards to Anti-Oxidant Paste, I can only tell you what one manufacturer says regarding it. Eaton Manufacturing who makes Cutler Hammer as you all know does not list a requirement for any inhibitors on their residential service panelboards BUT they do list it on many ( if not all..I am not sure of this ) 30A and 60A pull out disconnects and such.

Their residential line for example is accepted without the inhibitor, they undergo UL listing without it's use on their residential panelboards.

What the NEC ( 110.14 ) says about it is IF you choose to use it it or where it is used it can't adversely affect the conductors, installation, or equipment.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
peter d said:
I seem to remember that you can drill through 10 2X8 floor joists with a 36 volt cordless drill one handed, and you don't even need a ladder? ;) :D
Well, not 10 in a single pass, but . . .

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
radiopet said:
What the NEC ( 110.14 ) says about it is IF you choose to use it it or where it is used it can't adversely affect the conductors, installation, or equipment.
Paul, have you ever seen a manufacturer's instruction to not use an anti-oxidant?

snvray6969

no lox is an anti corrosive agent, and when NOT used, the Al conductor can corrode. this inturn could very well change the original mass that was tightened under the terminal to begin with and along with that change will loosen the connection. the loose connection inturn will cause resistance which causes heat............abbra cadabra...........burnt terminal!!

SmithBuilt said:
I have seen cases where I believe Nolox would have prevented connection problems. It certainly prevents the white chalking. I now use it on all the al connections.

On another note it is very good on battery terminals. Clean them good and coat all the exposed lead.

Uh-oh, better be careful t is only listed for AC use......:D

my 2 cents

my 2 cents

de-ox, nolox, ect...are products that help inhibit corrosion. They also help work as an anti-sieze, however there are multiple qualitys that these chemical compounds will help, including the effects of both exo and endothermic heating of conductors and their associated connectors.....in other words copper and aluminium both expand and contract at different rates..(current flow generates heat)..over time the differential in these rates will actually loosen the mechanical connection that is used, thus raising the connections resistance... the other problem that these compounds help offset are the effects of Redox....which is "corrosion" created by the difference in the number of electrons between cu/al and their desire to equalize these numbers. The best example i can give is this.........in plumbing you cant attach a copper pipe to a galvinized pipe and expect the connection to last. However if you attach a copper pipe to a brass coupling and then to a galvinized pipe you have (by way of the brass being a mixture of metals) decreased the level of difference in electrons between the copper or galvinized pipes, this leads to less Redox/Galvanic corrosion and thus establishes a more reliable junction..........so that being said, the de-ox/nolox is like the brass coupling, it helps bind the different metals by helping them keep their electrons to themselves....it is a good practice to always use the compounds on connections where going between different metal types, as well as al to al.....if you dont believe de ox makes a difference put some on a piece of cu buss let it sit for a minute then wipe it off, you should be able to see a spot where the buss is cleaned/etched by the chemical compound....clean= less opposition to curent flow........wow...sorry for being so long winded....:cool:

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
wptski said:
I always wanted to ask if anybody uses de-ox/nolox on copper, anybody??

We have used copper shield on copper to copper c-taps but not Not-ox.
And then it was only because it was written into the customers specs.

jimmac49

If I remember correctly it removes the aluminum oxide coating on the conductor when the paste is applied and the wire is scraped. Aluminum oxide is not conductive.

Jim

glene77is

No alox is an oxide inhibitor. Aluminum is a good conductor aluminum oxide is not the No alox is supposed to prevent oxygen from contacting the aluminum that is why you are supposed to put it on before it is brushed because it keeps oxygen from combining with the alluminum to form a poor conductor. I have seen idiot after idiot putting the product on after the connection had been made and this is why aluminum had so many fires is because of untrained monkeys installing it.

Check this site for references which support QuoQueelectric:
http://www.inspect-ny.com/aluminum.htm

I have tried experiments similar to these, and had similiar results.
BTW, NoAlox will burn when ignited with a match.
BTW, Purple Wire Nutes will burn when iginited with a match,
(it is the flammable Oxide Inhibitor which burns).

Sure wish we had a non-flammable Oxide Inhibitor.

Comments are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.