Ground at main or Main lug Panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronaldrc

It is a grounding electrode even if you do not want it to be. If you have 10 feet or more of water pipe in the ground the NEC says that is a grounding electrode and you must use it. It does not give you an option to not use it.

Yes it will serve as a grounding electrode but it does not meet the requirements needed.You would have to tear a lot of the structure apart to get to where it comes through the wall to ground it behind the first fitting.

The inspector I think didn't want to tell the owner he was going to have to spend several hundreds or maybe a few thousand dollar to tear part of the Building and rebuild it when he could go another way.

We drove a ground rod.

kwired

Electron manager
Yes it will serve as a grounding electrode but it does not meet the requirements needed.You would have to tear a lot of the structure apart to get to where it comes through the wall to ground it behind the first fitting.

The inspector I think didn't want to tell the owner he was going to have to spend several hundreds or maybe a few thousand dollar to tear part of the Building and rebuild it when he could go another way.

We drove a ground rod.

I don't know what your scenario was but the NEC is very clear about the requirements and does not care what it cost to do so. I find it hard to believe you can not get to where the water enters the building - isn't there a shut off valve near point of entry? To be able to conceal a grounding electrode conductor all the way there I can see being a problem but there is no requirement to conceal this conductor. Inspectors here would never let that one go as you described.

copper chopper

is it a service

is it a service

in your statement you said (I asked if I could Ground it in the Main lug distribution panel on the inside. He said no it had to go all the way ) that tells me that its not a service but a feeder... and if that is the case then we need more info on the install to tell you if you were correct in not having to do this.

ronaldrc

I got the answer from a few on here I wanted to hear.

As far as the ones just wanting to start a arguement ,I want go down that road.

Thanks for the replies

kwired

Electron manager
I got the answer from a few on here I wanted to hear.

As far as the ones just wanting to start a arguement ,I want go down that road.

Thanks for the replies

What you want to hear used to be an acceptable install, but has not been acceptable since about 1993 or 1996 NEC.

ronaldrc

I know, I just think a inspector should be able to make that exception in a case where no harm will be
done.

I no a few inspectors that would have said that will be fine.

But as some said this inspector wanted to go by the letter of the code, and I have no problem
with that, but if it would have been say 25 or 50 ft. I would have ask if he could make an exception.

Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
I know, I just think a inspector should be able to make that exception in a case where no harm will be
done.

I no a few inspectors that would have said that will be fine.

But as some said this inspector wanted to go by the letter of the code, and I have no problem
with that, but if it would have been say 25 or 50 ft. I would have ask if he could make an exception.

Thanks

Inspectors can make an exception to anything, most don't. It can turn around and bite them if they do.

Even what seems like a little thing starts getting other installers all stirred up - why does so-and-so get to do this when we don't. That snowball just gets bigger the further it rolls down the hill.

ronaldrc

Inspectors can make an exception to anything, most don't. It can turn around and bite them if they do.

Even what seems like a little thing starts getting other installers all stirred up - why does so-and-so get to do this when we don't. That snowball just gets bigger the further it rolls down the hill.

I know I've been in a few of those, well John did it that way why can't I.

We have a local code here any outside conduit over 20ft has to be rigid Galv.
Not knowing of this new ruling I run 2" EMT half way around a Bldg. on a small laundromat
and one of my Buddies seen it and said If had run that they would have made me use rigid galv.

That time the Inspector overlooked that and sure enough it came back and bites us both.

I wouldn't want to be an inspector for that reason.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.