Thread: Installing ground rods?

Installing ground rods?

I've just ran power to 10 new irrigation center pivots. I drove all rods vertically but talking to the other guys, they said they've just buried them before. 250.53(G) 05 code, the way I'm interpreting it says I can't bury them unless rock is encountered when driven, is this correct? The ditch next to the pivot is open making it effortless to bury them. Do they actually enforce this in your area? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cow
    I've just ran power to 10 new irrigation center pivots. I drove all rods vertically but talking to the other guys, they said they've just buried them before. 250.53(G) 05 code, the way I'm interpreting it says I can't bury them unless rock is encountered when driven, is this correct? The ditch next to the pivot is open making it effortless to bury them. Do they actually enforce this in your area? Thanks.
    I agree with you.

Art. 250.53(G) is pretty clear

(G) Rod and Pipe Electrodes. The electrode shall be installed such that at least 2.44 m (8 ft) of length is in contact with the soil. It shall be driven to a depth of not less than 2.44 m (8 ft) except that, where rock bottom is encountered, the electrode shall be driven at an oblique angle not to exceed 45 degrees from the vertical or, where rock bottom is encountered at an angle up to 45 degrees, the electrode shall be permitted to be buried in a trench that is at least 750 mm (30 in.) deep. The upper end of the electrode shall be flush with or below ground level unless the aboveground end and the grounding electrode conductor attachment are protected against physical damage as specified in 250.10.

Thanks Dennis.

Ground rods actually work better (the little work they do) when installed horizontally in the ground about 2' deep...
    Bryan P. Holland, MCP

You dont have to drive a plate....
    Electric heretic
    It's always gonna be in the last place you look....