Talking with another electrician....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsbrush

resistance said:
You know what!? I'm sorry to hear you have ran into that pay my bills later, under pay my electricians, but buy my boat first kind of owner. But don't come here stereotyping! I work my butt off just to stay in business!!! If you are working for a person with this kind of personality, then you should move on! Trust me!!!
Well said!! I truly believe that a man or women that is good in our industry, who has the skills ,knowledge, and common sense can be very successful as an electrician, foreman and so on so on. They will know what they are worth and get paid accordingly. I started off as a pre apprentice and had to work my way up. It took a long time. Some times I felt like I was worth more. Looking back now I feel like I was where I needed to be.

Resistance is right. If you are working for that kind of Ec then move on.
Don't be taken advantage of.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
jmsbrush said:
If you are working for that kind of Ec then move on.
Don't be taken advantage of.
Yeah! Right on! I'm gonna quit my job tommorow!

Hey, wait a minute! I can't quit! I'm the boss! :mad:

sparky 134

vegasmark said:
maybe you electrical contractors should park your golf carts, fish your pda out of your sport coat pocket, and look up the average cost of living in your area. now compare that number to what your guys are actually bringing home each month. the majority of electricians that i know HAVE to do side work in order to pay the bills and feed their families. the trend in my neck of the woods seems to be that contractors are hiring younger guys and illegals to do almost all residential and commercial work, paying them half or less per hour than what i and most of my work buddies require in order to survive. if contractors would pay their guys what they're worth instead of focusing on the bottom line, there would be less competition from side work. you think i like to spend my evenings and weekends working?

So how long have you been running your own business ? Must be a long time because OBVIOUSLY you know what it takes to run a business. So you think all owners are running around on golf carts living the life of luxury ?

Maybe one day you will start your own shop and then you can be the one who works part time, plays golf every day, has a PDA in the pocket, etc, etc.

Until you know what it takes (financially) to run a business I suggest you keep quiet.

Maybe you and your friends are living above your means. Try spending less, being more financialy responsible.

cschmid

easy sparky don't blow a gasket..

So we have another side job issue..it is easy to modify your employee handbooks folks..add a paragraph that explains that you are in the electrical contracting business and doing illegal contracting jobs is not allowed while being employed at your company..that is grounds for termination..that is like taking food off the table and if it was their company they would be mad..

In our state you are only allowed to use your license at one business..so if you are employed as a journeyman the company that signs you paycheck has use of your license..so every thing else is illegal..

Brady Electric

Talking with another electrician

Talking with another electrician

Interesting reading
I have been in the electrical trade since 1974 when I got out of the USMC
Started working for a one man business who taught me a little about everything
After about a year he would let me do side jobs after work or weekends and would even check out my work or help it I needed
I soon learned that when he wasn't around I didn't know as much as I thought I did
I really needed that work and I appreciate him doing that
I also learned that if you do neat work, do everything according to the NEC, and have a good personality your customers will always call you and recommend you
I have never lost a customer once I have been on the job once
Maybe just lucky or they all see that I am honest, take pride in my work and do it right
One of the most important things is enjoying your work
A smart man once said (If you enjoy your work is doesn't seem like work)
I still feel that way and my customers see it also and call me
I put every-one's number in my cell phone after the first visit and when they call I know who they are (everyone likes the idea that you know who is calling and it shows you care about them)
I have around 250 customers in my phone and add more every week
As far as price I mark up my material and charge labor according to the job
Treat everyone like I want to be treated and never have a problem
After years in business I have only had one contractor beat me out of money
Instead of putting down others and there prices look in your own closet
Always charge a fair price and most of all charge what you need to stay in business
Everyone of us need different amounts because of overhead, insurance, vehicle expense and so on
I personally think that competition is good, do you think Home Depot, Lowe's, Wall Mart, and so on don't compete?
We all shop the place we like, electrical business is no different
Sorry this went on so long but its the way I think
Some of you will agree and some won't but that's O.K.
Have a GREAT day, SMILE, ENJOY Semper Fi Buddy

LawnGuyLandSparky

sparky 134 said:
So, I was talking to another electrician (not a contractor) and he was complaining about how he's bid on three hottubs and only got one. Both of the other jobs were given to someone who was willing to do the work for $300.00 less than him. He was around $800.00, the other guy was around $500.00.

He's doing the work as a sidejob (no license, permit, insurance, etc.) and had the audacity to complain about how cheap the other guy was willing to do the work for.

I said, "Just imagine what you would charge if you had to pay for insurance, license, payroll taxes, etc, etc, etc..."

I feel his pain, and I am moved... :grin:

LawnGuyLandSparky

jmsbrush said:
Good electricians are paid well around here and they keep their jobs. No matter how much you will pay someone, some people will always want more and say its not enough. Thats just how it is. Not all of us contractor's are wearing the sports jackets either. You would be surprised how many are struggling, if they were to be honest, hoping and praying for the next job to come in so they can provide a living for everyone.

I don't know what you're basing "paid well" on, other than possibly makes more than a restauraunt busboy, but I know Florida well enough to know you have some of the lowest paid workers in every industry. Most especially construction.

I have friends who replaced their service in New Port Ritchey before moving to Connecticut. The contractor charged them 1200.00, the "installer" said he was being paid 9 bucks an hour.

I could have done the job for less, including airfare...

jmsbrush

LawnGuyLandSparky said:
I don't know what you're basing "paid well" on, other than possibly makes more than a restauraunt busboy, but I know Florida well enough to know you have some of the lowest paid workers in every industry. Most especially construction.

I have friends who replaced their service in New Port Ritchey before moving to Connecticut. The contractor charged them 1200.00, the "installer" said he was being paid 9 bucks an hour.

In Central Florida, If you have you're journeyman's Lic.. You will make somewhere in the neighborhood of $18.00 to $ 22.00 not including you're benefits. For this area, that is good. I know in Different parts of the country that would be low but for around here it is good.

The contractor who did that Service change for $1200.00 may be one of guys who are out of business now. Imo thats way to low.

growler

vegasmark said:
If contractors would pay their guys what they're worth instead of focusing on the bottom line, there would be less competition from side work. you think i like to spend my evenings and weekends working?

OK, how much are you being paid and how much are you really worth?

What would it take to keep you happy? If you don't mind give a few reasons why you think you are worth the stated amount such as education and experience or any special skills. Are you one of those loyal employees that shows up on time every day and works hard. How long have you been with your present company?

You could be right, you really may be underpaid, but everyone that knows which direction to twist a wire nut is not worth top money. It's just a fact of life.

growler

LawnGuyLandSparky said:

You really should move to Florida and go into business. You sound just like a Florida EC that called and wanted me to do a service change at his mothers house. I wasn't a very hard one so I told him 2 grand. He chokes and sputters awhile and tells me what it would cost in Forida.

I tell him he's welcome to come on up and do it himself ( that's what I would do if it were my mother, have done this ). He starts to come up with excuses for not doing so like he is not licensed in this state, I tell him about the homeowner permit. Then he started to ask questions about what will be required as far as bringing the ground up to code. I tell him yes that will be expected. He wants to know if he will have to label all circuits and if SE is acceptable, again with the "yes". Then he starts to worry what if he doesn't pass inspection the first time, can't stay but a day or two. Yes that could be a problem but it's not my problem.

I have no idea if he did the job himself or just called everyone in the area with a sob story. All I know is what it would cost to have me do the service change. It would take longer than 4 hours but the work would get a warranty and there would be no problem with stopping by if there were any problems in the future. The power wouldn't be off for very long and a generator would be hooked up to keep the food from spoiling for the short time that I was there and all the trash would be hauled off ( I'm not in a rental car).

I would say feel free to fly down to Florida and do as many service changes as you wish. You can come to Atlanta and do a few also. We have so many side jobbers and trunk slammers that one more really won't make any difference. But that doesn't lower the price if you want to hire a real electrical contractor.

Bombo

sparky 134 said:
So how long have you been running your own business ? Must be a long time because OBVIOUSLY you know what it takes to run a business. So you think all owners are running around on golf carts living the life of luxury ?

Maybe one day you will start your own shop and then you can be the one who works part time, plays golf every day, has a PDA in the pocket, etc, etc.

Until you know what it takes (financially) to run a business I suggest you keep quiet.

Maybe you and your friends are living above your means. Try spending less, being more financialy responsible.
You're right, although as cschmid says - lets not blow a gasket (or a fuse :grin: ) I have never had my own business but have known many who have and their struggle stories are very interesting. I know quite a few who were successful but in the end took a good paying job at the refinery so they wouldn't be so stressed out all the time. It was always very annoying to hear people bash the "Company"... running a business is not easy, if it were everyone would have their own business.

"If unhappy - DO something about it!"

cowboyjwc

Staff member
The thing about working for others is that "they pay what they pay".

I was watching a show the other night on "tower dogs", the guys who build the cell site antennas. They were talking to one of the guys and he's talking about having to work 150' in the air and that they have to have the job done in less than 4 hours, and how he travels 300 days a year. I'm thinking, man this guy must be making a bundle, all of a sudden the announcer says and he does all this for $14.00 an hour. HUH?

5 guys killed in a one month period doing that kind of work for $14.00 an hour and a lot of EC's won't get out of bed for less than a $1000.

sparky 134 said:
So, I was talking to another electrician (not a contractor) and he was complaining about how he's bid on three hottubs and only got one. Both of the other jobs were given to someone who was willing to do the work for $300.00 less than him. He was around $800.00, the other guy was around $500.00.

He's doing the work as a sidejob (no license, permit, insurance, etc.) and had the audacity to complain about how cheap the other guy was willing to do the work for.

I said, "Just imagine what you would charge if you had to pay for insurance, license, payroll taxes, etc, etc, etc..."

Yeah, but was he complaining about that his competitor who beat him was an illegal immigrant?:D What goes around, comes around....so they say.

growler

cowboyjwc said:
5 guys killed in a one month period doing that kind of work for $14.00 an hour and a lot of EC's won't get out of bed for less than a $1000.

What's really hard to understand is why anyone would become an electrical inspector with all that money just waiting to be picked up off the ground as an electrical contractor.

It must require some strength of charactor that the average EC does not possess. Either that or they have a bad back and are unable to bend over to pick up said money.

I know of at least a half dozen electrical inspectors that were at one time electrical contractors and yet I don't know any electrical contractors that used to be inspectors.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
growler said:
What's really hard to understand is why anyone would become an electrical inspector with all that money just waiting to be picked up off the ground as an electrical contractor.

It must require some strength of charactor that the average EC does not possess. Either that or they have a bad back and are unable to bend over to pick up said money.

I know of at least a half dozen electrical inspectors that were at one time electrical contractors and yet I don't know any electrical contractors that used to be inspectors.

Every EC I know thinks he's an electrical inspector.:smile:

And actually I do have a bad back and a bad elbow,a bad shoulder, two bad knees and from time to time a bad attitude.

I'm not the one that said an EC wouldn't get out of bed for less than $1000, an EC said that to me and I've heard comments like it repeated often on this site.

If I wanted to only make money I would have stayed in the field. I want to be able to coach my sons baseball team and go to all of my granddaughters games, I want to have time to work on the book I'm writing and to be on the board of directors for the local Little League and the Historical Society, and the SoCal chapeter of the IAEI and the California Electrical Inspectors. I want to take my son hunting and go visit my other three grandchildren in Colorado or just take my wife away for the weekend if I want.

With my benifit package I make what most of you make and am quite happy. We've had this dicussion before, it's not always about the money. I don't care what anyone makes. Once in awhile I will recomend someone (usually several someones) and if I'm asked what they charge I simply say I don't know, what I do know is that there the best guys around. I judge you on your work not your price.:smile:

bkludecke

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yeah, you tell 'em John.

BTW I'm an EC and I'll get out of bed just to get a cup of coffee, never mind the $1000.

I just won't quit for the day until I get the $$$.:grin:

c2500

Brady Electric said:
I put every-one's number in my cell phone after the first visit and when they call I know who they are (everyone likes the idea that you know who is calling and it shows you care about them)
I have around 250 customers in my phone and add more every week

Wow, my phone only holds 200 names:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.