Locking Disconects on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minuteman

480sparky said:
Seriously... you don't want to get near one.

It comes with a control panel that has a jam sensor. We tried to jam it to test that function by sticking an 8' 2x12 treated into it. Slowed it down just a bit, but chewed it up pretty good and spit it out the other side. They make Tim Taylor's 2-stroke garbage disposal look like an egg beater.

Was that the 2000, 3000, or 4000?

I know where to go if I ever want to dispose of a body....
Jimmy Hoffa?

480sparky

Minuteman said:
Was that the 2000, 3000, or 4000?

Jimmy Hoffa?

It's been years, but I remember it having a 10hp 480v motor. Looked like the 40000. I recall thinking, "If a human went through this, all that would be left is bone fragments." And small ones, at that.

Once the blades got hold of something solid, they didn't let go. Figured it would be a horrible way to die. Probably watch your arm or leg go in inch by inch for about 10 seconds......

Don't think they were around when JH went AWOL.....

quogueelectric

Brings back memories of a building we used to service. Someone flushed a pair of underwear and it took out one of the main sewage pumps for the building. Maintanance guy stuck his arm in the pipe and pulled it out then 4 floors of poop dumped on top of him. He just went home and almost quit/got fired because he talked to his boss too soon before he cooled off. They wouldnt have cared how much tokeep this from happening again. We tortured him for months sorry to say. They were looking for a 36 waist for a couple of years.

Last edited:

Rampage_Rick

480sparky said:
I've had the distinct honor of being rather up-close and personal with a Muffin Monster. Sure wouldn't want to get caught in one of them! ;) Makes toothpicks out of 2x12 treated lumber.....
I'm trying to understand the naming convention. Is "muffin" another euphemism for the materials handled by that device? Perhaps Cookie Monster is trademarked already?

Just googled it... Apparently they use one in Whistler.

-edit- Man, that thing is as fun to watch as those Blendtec blenders: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi1V7gXyVeo

The guy feeding it makes me nervous... watch how close his hands get when he starts feeding it fresh produce. And come on, who actually has to worry about ceramic tiles getting flushed? Tennis shoes and belts, OK, but tiles?

Last edited:

jeremysterling

When someone is asking, "Is (insert problem) permitted in the Code, sometimes I see the reply is, "Where is it NOT permitted by the Code."

Is the equipment listed for locking in the on position?

Is a hasp provided for locking in the on position?

A cable tie or tie-wrap may be enough to deter pranksters, yet still allow anyone with a knife or sharp teeth to open the circuit(s).

Last edited:

M. D.

Hey, thanks for the video ,.. some of them fingers got mighty close to being non existent and as the fingers so too the arm ,..most likely ,..that thing is dangerooooos

As far as locking a disconnect closed ,..OSHA is good with it

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=24844

Question: Can the disconnect switches be locked in the closed (on) position?

Response: There is no provision in the OSHA regulations that prohibits locking the disconnecting means in the closed (on) position. The OSHA rule at 29 CFR 1910.304(d)(1) requires that "the disconnecting means shall plainly indicate whether it is in the open or closed position and shall be installed at a readily accessible location nearest the point-of-entrance of service-entrance conductors." In accordance with 29 CFR 1910.399, readily accessible is defined as "capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections, without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to climb over or remove obstacles or to resort to portable ladders, chairs, etc." The definition of readily accessible does not preclude the use of a locked door for service equipment or the use of a lock on the disconnecting means, provided those for whom ready access may be necessary have a key (or lock combination) available. Please note, however, that the use of multiple locks or keys on disconnecting switches may preclude the installation from being readily accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.