Rules for using grounding & plastic bushings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbronx

Could someone verify I am using plastic and grounding bushings correctly.

1. Plastic bushing for conduit with wire #4 and above.

2. Grounding bushing for conduit with wire 250 volts and above.

3. Grounding bushing for conduit installed through cocentric KO.

4.Grounding bushing for service conduit

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Could someone verify I am using plastic and grounding bushings correctly.

1. Plastic bushing for conduit with wire #4 and above. {Yes}

2. Grounding bushing for conduit with wire 250 volts and above. {Only for concentric or eccentric KO's not listed for grounding}

3. Grounding bushing for conduit installed through concentric KO. {Only over 250 volts for concentric or eccentric KO's not listed for grounding}

4.Grounding bushing for service conduit {Only required for concentric or eccentric KO's}

Does this answer your questions?

iwire

Staff member
I agree but the question was about bonding bushings which aren't always required. :)

We may just be having a communication break down but I can't think of anytime that you do not have to use a bonding device on a service raceway other then when using a hub. Regardless of voltage and concentrics.

Last edited by a moderator:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We may just be having a communication break down but I can't think of anytime that you do not have to use a bonding device on a service raceway other then when using a hub. Regardless of voltage and concentrics.

Maybe. :D

He wants to know if a grounding bushing is required on a service raceway. The answer is no unless there are concentric or eccentric KO's
4.Grounding bushing for service conduit

iwire

Staff member
He wants to know if a grounding bushing is required on a service raceway. The answer is no unless there are concentric or eccentric KO's

I disagree, with service raceways it has nothing to do with concentric or eccentric KO's, a bonding device of some type is needed.

See 250.92.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
semantics, Bob :D
The OP did not ask about a "grounding device", he asked about a "grounding bushing"

Rob ate his wheaties this morning :)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
semantics, Bob :D
The OP did not ask about a "grounding device", he asked about a "grounding bushing"

Rob ate his wheaties this morning :)

Yes, the question is about bushings, nothing else. A service raceway can be bonded with another means such as a bonding locknut or wedge but that wasn't the question. ;)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't see answering the question exactly as written to be misleading. As always, anyone else is free to post additional information to add clarity to this thread.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I don't find that very helpful to the OP, in fact it is close to misleading.

I don't see answering the question exactly as written to be misleading. As always, anyone else is free to post additional information to add clarity to this thread.
Olympic class fencing right here on the MH Forum.:cool:

Dbronx

Yes, the question is about bushings, nothing else. A service raceway can be bonded with another means such as a bonding locknut or wedge but that wasn't the question. ;)

You are correct my OP was about bushings required, also required bonding of raceways. I have read the post and now realize there are more options than bond bushings to bond conduit.

Status
Not open for further replies.