Steroid Use in Race to Bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbwireman

Just came across and ad from a newly minted (11/29/07) SoCal EC who, in his print ad, offers panel upgrades at $1495 for 200A, $1195 for 100A then states "Lowest prices guaranteed!!"

From his website:
"Low Price Guarantee:
At **** Electric, we offer the best products at the lowest prices. If you find a lower price on comparable products or services from one our our Southern Califirnia competitors within 30 days after your service, we will refund you the difference."

A check of the CA Dept. of Industrial Relations reveals that this individual does not hold a (legally required) Journeyman's Certification.

CSLB records show this EC as a Sole Ownership "exempt from having Workers compensation insurance; they certified that they have no employees at this time."

And yet a visit to his website offers this:

"Installation Workmanship Guarantee:
Our technicians are trained professionals whose skill, attitude, and workmanship are top quality. If you are not satisfied with the installation results, we will fix any issues free of charge, or remove the equipment and refund your money."

Note the uses of the plural.

Look for a soon to be released business "how to" book from this guy. :roll:

Last edited:

ceb58

"Installation Workmanship Guarantee:
Our technicians are trained professionals whose skill, attitude, and workmanship are top quality.
This is just a play on words. I could say I am sending my technicians to take care of the problem. Then my son and I show up.

If you are not satisfied with the installation results, we will fix any issues free of charge, or remove the equipment and refund your money."

I wonder if they would try to reinstall the old panel if you are not satisfied:confused:

lbwireman

ceb58 said:

This is just a play on words. I could say I am sending my technicians to take care of the problem. Then my son and I show up.

True enough. However, under CA law, if you're a "Sole Ownership", your son would, by definition, be an employee whom you would be required to cover with worker's comp.

I wonder if they would try to reinstall the old panel if you are not satisfied:confused:

If so, I'd pay good money just to watch.:grin:

lbwireman

mdshunk said:
I try as best I can to mind my own business and let other people hang themselves.

Marc, on general principles I'd be in agreement. However, in this instance, it rises to the level of "If I saw a B&E in progress at my neighbor's house, I'd call 911".

Again from the guy's website:

**** Electric was started by owner, **** ****, in 1990. Over the last several years we've grown into a leading electrical contractor company and had the privilege of providing quality electrical services to our many thousands of customers throughout the greater Los Angeles area.

Judging from the pics on his website, this guy would have been about 10 in 1990. And how does a "Sole Owner" with no employees service "thousands of customers throughout the greater Los Angeles Area."?

The cost of the business licenses alone for the dozens of municipalities in the gLAa would be astronomical. :cool:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
lbwireman said:
And how does a "Sole Owner" with no employees service "thousands of customers throughout the greater Los Angeles Area."?
Nobody says he serviced them well.

peter d

From reading past threads here and from my own research, it seems that California's bizarre and confusing rules for electrical contracting have created quite a huge amount of "contractors" like this.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Come on wireman, you know you can't make any money doing only service changes "all over southern California". Technically southern California is from Bakersfield to the Mexican boarder and from Arizona to the Pacific Ocean.

My guess is he's subing out to local contractors.

Status
Not open for further replies.