Leveling Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjw444

Have an interesting job coming up just looking for a few tips please. It's an electronics store in the mall with a 4'x4' black open grid ceiling on an angle, mainly just all track and lots of displays in the way. They want to add 15 2'x2' lights with parabolic lenses hung 1' over the grid. We plan on using black conduit from light to light and using aircraft cable and putting eyehooks in the corners to hang them. Any tips for quick leveling and hanging? I was thinking a rotary laser and a plumb bob laser might be the best option but would like to hear other thoughts.

stickboy1375

Laser would probably be the easiest as far as getting them all the same height... Would probably look into Caddy's Speed Link as the support cables...

SpeedLinkAppl.jpg

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Without a doubt rotary laser.

Set the laser 2" or 3" above the top of the fixtures and use the target that comes with the laser or make one, or use your tape.

You do not want to set the laser at the same height as the finished product as normally at some point you will have a fixture to high and deflect the beam.

Here is a job I ran, about 550 8' strips, the laser was the only way to fly.

Jo-Ann-Lights.jpg

mdshunk

480sparky said:
Possibly the shelves will be at a 45 as well?
Doubt it. I've seen plenty of 45 degree lighting in stores, and they run the shelving traditionally. I think the idea behind the diagonal lighting is to accommodate pretty much whatever arrangement you might ever have.

cschmid

kjw444 said:
Have an interesting job coming up just looking for a few tips please. It's an electronics store in the mall with a 4'x4' black open grid ceiling on an angle, mainly just all track and lots of displays in the way. They want to add 15 2'x2' lights with parabolic lenses hung 1' over the grid. We plan on using black conduit from light to light and using aircraft cable and putting eyehooks in the corners to hang them. Any tips for quick leveling and hanging? I was thinking a rotary laser and a plumb bob laser might be the best option but would like to hear other thoughts.

you said lots of displays in the way..are you talking on the floor so it is going to be a pain in the butt to work with a ladder in there..or did you mean hanging from the ceiling..The laser is nice if you are an open area other wise it is the old fashion way string and a level that way you can work with the objects in the way..We did a library lighting project with all the book cases and everything still in place..you can add some extra hours real quick with junk in the way..

iwire

Staff member
mdshunk said:
On the diagonal, no less. Ugh.

Yeah, laser on it's side to lay out the hangers on the diagonal then laser on a column for leveling.

I was able to get the engineer to let me use these from caddy.

PH3955_W.jpg

Deck Hanger and TDHP2 Punch

Major saving of strut or pipe to bridge the trusses.

Out of 550 plus hanging points only a few landed on a truss or beam.

peter d

iwire said:
Here is a job I ran, about 550 8' strips, the laser was the only way to fly.

Jo-Ann-Lights.jpg

[size=+4]Nooooooooooo!!! Make it go away!!!![/size] ;) :D

I'm pretty sure that's me operating that lift in the background.

Last edited:

peter d

cschmid said:
I suppose after working in the building with that floor you should of paid dazed and confused pay..that is wild was it as hard to workin as it is to look at..:D

What made it even better is that they were laying the floor at the same time we were hanging the lights. :roll:

kjw444

cschmid said:
you said lots of displays in the way..are you talking on the floor so it is going to be a pain in the butt to work with a ladder in there..or did you mean hanging from the ceiling...

Yeah pretty much both, but I feel like I can measure from the ground and move the laser. Being in the mall the floor should be fairly level and the fact that the ceiling is black as well as the fixtures an 1/8" here or there and I can feel pretty good about that. Checking the job out today I was blinded looking up from all of the wallwashers and spotlights everywhere. It will be nerve racking hanging them overtop of 2000 dollar tvs and computers etc...

cschmid

there is a easier way if you are sure the floor is level..take 2x4 and put a X on both end the exact height you want the fixture off the floor then put the jig on the floor and rest the fixture on it while you hook the aircraft cable to it..which I thought were really nice hangers, the finished product has a nice aesthetic value..

Status
Not open for further replies.