MC-AP versus MC Labor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I understand that the MC-AP uses the armor as the grounding path and does not have a green grounding conductor found in MC. When running regular MC cable for branch circuits I am assuming that the ground for regular MC has to be terminated at every device and this doe not need to happen with MC-Ap thus saving time...correct? Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you used only two wire cables that's a 33% reduction in terminations at every box, panel, light fixture etc. Also if you use self-grounding receptacles that's at least on less jumper at every device location. Sounds like the savings can add up quickly. ;)

ceb58

But the kicker is the MC-AP cost about $200.00 per 1000' more than MC. So you would have to look closely at the job to come up with any savings. If you had long runs with few terminations you wouldn't save any thing.

mlnk

Our AHJ accepts self-grounding receptacles for surface work only. No deal on finished wall work. That is, the self-grounding function was not acceptable...the receptacles are acceptable to use but they also must additionally have a green grounding wire connected to the metal box. They did not want self-grounding used for drywall walls because sometimes the strap does not touch the plaster ring. This makes "ribbon grounding" less efficient especially if it costs more for the material.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Our AHJ accepts self-grounding receptacles for surface work only. No deal on finished wall work. That is, the self-grounding function was not acceptable...the receptacles are acceptable to use but they also must additionally have a green grounding wire connected to the metal box. They did not want self-grounding used for drywall walls because sometimes the strap does not touch the plaster ring. This makes "ribbon grounding" less efficient especially if it costs more for the material.

Sounds pretty bogus to me. Self-grounding receptacles are tested and listed for use without a bonding jumper.

Status
Not open for further replies.