SJO cords installed in PVC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason G

Good morning all,
please be gentle this is my first time. i work for a pump company and have been arguing that we can not recommend to have 2 - 12/3 SJO power cords and 3- 18/2 SJO float cords installed in a 1" Sch 80 PVC pipe. is there a code issue here with installing a raceway in a raceway? secondly does any have any pipe fill caculations for this application. i would feel better running this in a 1-1/2 pipe but still do not know if it is a violation to begin with. any help would be great!!

M. D.

Depends where and why

400.14 PROTECTION FROM DAMAGE

This new paragraph permits flexible cords to be installed in aboveground raceways in industrial environments in lengths up to 50 feet, but only under restricted conditions.

Flexible cords must be protected by bushings or fittings where passing through holes in covers, outlet boxes, or similar enclosures.

In industrial establishments where the conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons will service the installation, flexible cords not exceeding 50 ft can be installed in above ground raceways.

iwire

Staff member
Now they have given you the code. :smile:

In the real world almost every lift station / sewer ejection pit etc that I have worked on has the rubber cords for the pumps and floats run up from the sump to the control panel in pipe.

You might want to talk to your local inspectors.

mivey

iwire said:

In the real world almost every lift station / sewer ejection pit etc that I have worked on has the rubber cords for the pumps and floats run up from the sump to the control panel in pipe.

I have to say having an electrician throw caution to the wind regarding the NEC is most unusual.

I'm joking, of course.:grin:

iwire

Staff member
mivey said:
I have to say having an electrician throw caution to the wind regarding the NEC is most unusual.

I'm joking, of course.:grin:

:grin: :grin:

All I am sugesting is talk to your AHJ. :cool:

hillbilly

iwire said:

Good advice.

It's pretty much standard operating procedure in sewer pump installations.

Most of the "package" units that I've installed come with direct burial, multi-conductor cables to power the tank pump from the above ground disconnect and also to operate the overflow alarm.

If there is not space (rock bottom) to bury the cable 24" deep, placing it in conduit is the only viable alternative.

Also....Even if the cable(s) can be buried deep enough, you still must protect it where it emerges from the ground.

Sometimes the rules don't fit, and the inspector must make a informed decision.....safety is the ultimate objective.....right???

Just my opinion
steve

Jason G

my question concerning pipe fill was to determine if the 2 - 12/3 and 3 - 18/2 SJO cords were exceeding a 1" sch 80 pipe. i know how to figure pipe fill for regular stranded wires, but did not know how to caculated for flexible cords. i know everyone has ran flexible wires in PVC before (i have done it too but through a 1-1/2" or 2" pipe for heat displacement and ease of pulling) but we as manufactures can recommend people to install our wires this way if it is against code.

Status
Not open for further replies.