arc flash code within an enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikegoutier

I have an interesting build I am working on and wanted to get some input as to arc flash regulations on it. I have been separating my high and low voltage panels to allow low voltage work to be done without any PPE. I also put the main disconnect outside of my high voltage panel so the line side never enters the high voltage panel allowing power to be turned off and work to be done without PPE in that case.
Recently I am working on a project were I was debating putting 2 panels back to back with no walls between them. The sub panels would be spaced off the back frame 14 inches each, allowing a 28 inch gap between the 2 sub panels. I am going to enter the 2 enclosures from the top with cable glands and the side walls on 1 side were going to be doors. Hoffman proline series seems to be a good fit for this.
So my High voltage panel is 480, with a 200A main disconnect. It feeds 4 servo racks 4 vfd's etc etc... low voltage is 24vdc.

The question is do i need a wall between these panels for separation?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I have an interesting build I am working on and wanted to get some input as to arc flash regulations on it. I have been separating my high and low voltage panels to allow low voltage work to be done without any PPE. I also put the main disconnect outside of my high voltage panel so the line side never enters the high voltage panel allowing power to be turned off and work to be done without PPE in that case.
Recently I am working on a project were I was debating putting 2 panels back to back with no walls between them. The sub panels would be spaced off the back frame 14 inches each, allowing a 28 inch gap between the 2 sub panels. I am going to enter the 2 enclosures from the top with cable glands and the side walls on 1 side were going to be doors. Hoffman proline series seems to be a good fit for this.
So my High voltage panel is 480, with a 200A main disconnect. It feeds 4 servo racks 4 vfd's etc etc... low voltage is 24vdc.

The question is do i need a wall between these panels for separation?

i've backed to back panels in refineries off of double strut in a ladder configuration..

what if you used a sheet metal panel the same gauge as the enclosure in between
the panels? the panel enclosure is sufficient for arc flash calculations, and if you
had a steel stud wall with two sheets of 5/8" sheetrock, nobody would give it a
second thought if panels were mounted on either side of it...

so what if you took a piece of 12 gauge mild steel, and welded strut on both sides
of it, so you have a strut sandwich with a layer of steel in between?

it'd be 3 3/8" thick face to face, and i'd think a sheet of #12 would be equal to sheetrock....

Status
Not open for further replies.