Rapid start vs Instant start

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Thanks, great link.

The reason I asked is because the owner of my company asked me why some recently installed T5HO high bays take a couple of seconds to come on after the switch is closed. I'll take a look tomorrow but after reading the link I'm guessing they are programable start.

Electric-Light

Thanks, great link.

The reason I asked is because the owner of my company asked me why some recently installed T5HO high bays take a couple of seconds to come on after the switch is closed. I'll take a look tomorrow but after reading the link I'm guessing they are programable start.

Hey Chris,
Basically, PRS is a pre-heat with filaments controlled by a computer chip rather than glow bottles.
Power on, pre-heat, then strike. Proper control is the key to getting the most lamp cycle counts with the shortest start time.

Pretty much all T5s are PRS. In the T8 field, General Electric UltraStart brand is the fastest PRS I know of. I love it. Keep in mind I'm only talking about proper PRS. There are faster ones out there, but they don't provide the proper starting sequence and reduces lamp life.

GE UltraStart is 1/2sec as opposed to 1 to 1 1/2 secs for other brands. This is a big selling point for GE(you've probably seen the forklift falling off the dock in sales literature) . It's not quite instant start, but provides the benefits of PRS(increased lamp life) while significantly mitigating occupant complaints.

You should request a product sample from your rep or buy one to try out. I don't know about T5s, but same could very well apply.

Thinner lamps require higher starting voltage and krypton containing gas mixture in T5s further raises voltage requirement. In other words, a 4' T5 is harder to start than a 4' T8.

The filaments in T8 is basically the same as T12, but in the T5, it's a more compact design and not quite as robust, so gentler treatment with preheating is preferable. Most commercial use CFLs use PRS as well while residential ones use instant start. This is why they suffer very short life when switched frequently.

If you use too high of voltage to pre-heat it will arc over between two pins at ends. If it's too mild, it will increase starting time. If you overheat, lamp life is reduced.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.