cost effective information metering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianMuir

Hi,
Does anyone have any experience with with products designed for informational metering of sub circuits? Application is for a storage facility where the owner wants to meter and back charge customers for electrical consumption (yes, allowed by PoCo as long as the rate is the same as theirs). Of course this can be done using standard meter bases but it takes a lot of space and will cost probably $500 per unit, and someone needs to read all of them manually. It seems the ideal solution would be some sort of device consisting of a) a donut CTs that can be placed over the feeder and b) a logger that can talk to a data network, or even something that does this at the panelboard.
So far the products I have looked at are either too complicated and expensive or are designed for household energy monitoring.

If anyone has any practical suggestions please let me know!
Thanks

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Hi,
Does anyone have any experience with with products designed for informational metering of sub circuits? Application is for a storage facility where the owner wants to meter and back charge customers for electrical consumption (yes, allowed by PoCo as long as the rate is the same as theirs). Of course this can be done using standard meter bases but it takes a lot of space and will cost probably $500 per unit, and someone needs to read all of them manually. It seems the ideal solution would be some sort of device consisting of a) a donut CTs that can be placed over the feeder and b) a logger that can talk to a data network, or even something that does this at the panelboard.
So far the products I have looked at are either too complicated and expensive or are designed for household energy monitoring.

If anyone has any practical suggestions please let me know!
Thanks

There are a number of companies out there that make what you describe. One of the older and well known companies in this area is E-Mon. They have all manner of models.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Multi-metering of 'commercial feeder circuits' is offered by most of the major manufacturers that have electronic industrial metering, like Schneider Electric and Eaton.

BrianMuir

Well, I've looked at lots of option and each one runs about $500 per three wire branch circuit. I hoped to find options at about half that cost but so far so joy...

Status
Not open for further replies.