Adding GFCI to existing dimmed circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
ramsy said:
Where does the #3cu fit on that device for 80A.

The Leviton 8895 itself is not rated for 80A through its terminals. It is intended to control a contactor; on the Leviton catalog page it says to contact them for approved contactor combinations.

-Jon

slamppin

Ah Ha!

Ah Ha!

So, that turned into quite a dialog! Actually some of the suggestions led me down one of the right paths. Leviton makes the exact device I was looking for. The model number is 36895 and it was designed to provide GFCI protection to a dimmable circuit. The guy I talked to at Leviton's technical assistance department wasnt even aware of it!
Thank you all

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
winnie said:
It is intended to control a contactor;..

Many Thanks

Levington 36895 20A device, US $1625.00, pkg of 20. (Ouch) :(
cd-36895.jpg

I hope GFP relays are less than $80.25 each!

Last edited:

dbuckley

More or less exactly what I called for - the GFCI has to have a power source independent of the dimmed supply for its electronics, so thats the two wires at the top. Dimmed supply in at the bottom, out at the side, after passing through the measurement transformer and the contactor.

One could note that the supply at the top is critical for the operation of the device, and thus I would guess that if it fails the contactor will open. Any other arrangement would be dangerous...

slamppin

Actually the 36895 does not operate a contactor. It is similar in design to a standard 20 amp feed-through GFCI with the addition of the seperate control circuit feed. Nothing else to buy which makes this option very nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.