wires through bottom plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Hey guys,
I was wondering how you treat wires through a bottom plate?
Do you place a nail plate regardless of depth of hole from surface on a 2x4 wall?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Not sure I understand the question? Do you mean install a nail plate whenever you drill down through the bottom plate even if you have 1.25" or more of setback to the edge of the hole?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
infinity said:
Not sure I understand the question? Do you mean install a nail plate whenever you drill down through the bottom plate even if you have 1.25" or more of setback to the edge of the hole?

Yes I know it might be overkill..

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It might not be overkill when drilling down from the second floor to the first. I've seen carpenters install crown molding on the first floor ceiling shooting in 2 1/2" nails. It's possible for one of those to penetrate your cable if the hole is only set back 1.25" from the edge.

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I once handed my boss half a box of plates back and he asked me what I was doing. I told him I put them every where we needed one. He said that plates are cheap, what's expensive is having to go back and find where the nail is, use them all.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Sierrasparky said:
so do you just plate regardless?

Going down thru the base plate is a very likely place for a nail shot for the baseboard. I usually put a nail plate unless it is a 2x6 wall.

iwire

Staff member
Anyone know if a nail plate stops the nail from an air nailer?

When I was doing carpentry for a short time I seem to remember shooting right through joist and truss hangers.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I have never tried but I would imagine it would bend and slide out at an angle. The nail goes it so fast that it wont stop, just find the path of least resistance. I have seen them hit knots in wood and change direction.

SmithBuilt

I think about all the framing nailers would go through the plate. I've never seen a trim nail gun that would.

OTOH I seen some siding installers hammer a nail though the back of a panel that was installed in an outside wall. More than one nail.

iwire

Staff member
SmithBuilt said:
OTOH I seen some siding installers hammer a nail though the back of a panel that was installed in an outside wall. More than one nail.

Dang .... this here is some hard wood .... oh well, I will just keep going. :grin:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
iwire said:

When I was doing carpentry for a short time I seem to remember shooting right through joist and truss hangers.

Not sure but I have seen some incredible damage from nails without nail plates. I saw 7 nails in one copper pipe--7-- amazing.

I have also seen nails thru the siding into my panelboard.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I have seen a #8 ring shank nail from a framing nailer go right through a 16 gauge nail plate, the wood, and the wire.
As far as nail plates I say go to town, they are fast and cheap, upper and lower plate if it is 2x4 , I also drill at 24" off the floor where they are going to put cabinets, it keeps my wire well away from the hanging/nailing strip on the cabinets.

e57

iwire said:

Yes right through - depending on the nail... Shorter will bend less - and penetrate easier, and just about any hardened nail... As well as helix, C's, CC's and stainless depending on how shot - and how much pressure and speed... It can vary....

Status
Not open for further replies.