roff in inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolangro

I have a new inspector, who showed up today for a roff in inspection at a new home, this home is wired with romex and fiber glass nail on boxes, the inspectro said every thing was good but he want's me to strip all my wires and install all the ground crimps or green wire nuts now, before the dry wall goes up, now my question is does the nec require us to do this on a ruff in inspection?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
It's not required, but he's probably trying to save himself a step at final.

I ask that all the light boxes be bonded at rough so that I don't have to pull down all of the fixtures at final and if I see it in the switch boxes then I can figure that you know you need to ground your swithces.

He can't make you do this by code, but he can make you pull every outlet and switch and fixture so that he can verify it.

growler

nolangro said:
he want's me to strip all my wires and install all the ground crimps or green wire nuts now, before the dry wall goes up, now my question is does the nec require us to do this on a ruff in inspection?

That's the way things are done here. All grounds twisted and crimped (plastic boxes ) and all metal boxes grounded ( they want to see the green screw).

iwire

Staff member
nolangro said:
the inspector said every thing was good but he wants me to strip all my wires and install all the ground crimps or green wire nuts now, before the dry wall goes up,

If I called for a rough without the grounds made up I would not have even gotten a 'nice job'. I would be getting an earful about wasting the inspectors times. In the 25 years I have been doing this I have never seen a rough pass without the grounds made up.

now my question is does the NEC require us to do this on a ruff in inspection?

It's not. There is nothing in the NEC about when or how inspections are to be done. Heck the NEC does not even require inspections. How inspections are done is determined locally.

I think this sums it up...

He can't make you do this by code, but he can make you pull every outlet and switch and fixture so that he can verify it.

... even if there is no local rule requiring grounds made up for rough inspection there is no doubt a rule that the inspector gets to see the work. :grin:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
nolangro said:
I have a new inspector, who showed up today for a roff in inspection at a new home, this home is wired with romex and fiber glass nail on boxes, the inspectro said every thing was good but he want's me to strip all my wires and install all the ground crimps or green wire nuts now, before the dry wall goes up, now my question is does the nec require us to do this on a ruff in inspection?

It is a whole lot easier to make the joints now. Trying to remember what went where later on will be a big pain. Trust me-- I know. :smile:

ultramegabob

chris kennedy said:
All my joints are made for rough. SOP.

same here, its alot easier to make up switch boxes while your head is in the job and you can see how the cable is routed before the drywall is up. but its only the grounds that inspectors care about in my experience.

jsharvey

Rough In Inspections

Rough In Inspections

That's the way things are done here. All grounds twisted and crimped (plastic boxes ) and all metal boxes grounded ( they want to see the green screw).

Same here.

While you're in there making up your grnds, you may as well make up the rest of the box. It'll take you a bit longer but it's easier than trying to remember what goes where when you trim, besides that if everything is made up your trim out will take about half the time to finish.

J.S.Harvey

RUWired

nolangro said:
, this home is wired with romex and fiber glass nail on boxes,

We used fiberglass boxes on a hotel once and had a terrible time with the screws stripping out. We had to use them because they had a fire rating over the pvc boxes. Total junk IMO.
Rick

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Since the use of ARC fault breakers I like to test the conductors for any issues , then once again after drywall, Especially on custom jobs where there have been too many changes.
This way I know when a wire got a nail..
These days you need to check after sheerwall nailing.

normbac

Sierrasparky said:
Since the use of ARC fault breakers I like to test the conductors for any issues , then once again after drywall, Especially on custom jobs where there have been too many changes.
This way I know when a wire got a nail..
These days you need to check after sheerwall nailing.
What method due you use to test the arc wiring

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I usually just test Hot -nuetral- , neutral to ground, Ground to hot with a simple multitester. This will usually bring a nail in the wire thing

If I really feel the need because of some hack using 16 gun nails to stitch up a sheer wall I could break out the megger. (making sure nothing is connected of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.