COMMENT 15-3 draft ? Alternative power source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmtjfw

I'm looking for constructive criticism on the following, and if you think it is merited, support in the form of comments from you on 15-3. Thanks, Jim Williams

4 Comment:
Revise text to read as follows:

100 I
Alternate Power Source. One or more generator sets, or battery systems where permitted, intended to provide power during the interruption of the normal electrical services or the public utility electrical service intended to provide power during interruption of service normally provided by the generating facilities on the premises.

Alternate Power Source. One or more generator sets, or battery systems where permitted, intended to provide power during the interruption of the normal electrical services or the public utility electrical service intended to provide power during interruption of service normally provided by the generating facilities on the premises.

551.31 Multiple Supply Sources.
(A) Multiple Supply Sources. Where a multiple supply system consisting of an alternate a secondary power source and a power-supply cord is installed, the feeder from the alternate secondary power source shall be protected by an overcurrent protective device. Installation shall be in accordance with
551.30(A), 551.30(B), and 551.40.

( C ) Alternate Secondary Power Sources Exceeding 30 Amperes. If an alternate a secondary power source ?

5 Statement of Problem and Substantiation.

The term Alternate Power Source is used in: section 517, section 551, 695.4(B)(3)(b), 700.4(B), 700.7(B), 701.4, 701.7(B), 702.2 <info fig>, 702.7(B), 708.2 <info fig>, 708.21, 708.22(A,B&C), and 750.20.

In all cases except 551.31 it appears to have the meaning found presently in 517.2. The TCC objected to moving the definition to 100 I because of conflicting usages. I believe that changing the term to Secondary Power Sources in 551.31 would allow the 517.2 definition to apply to all other usages and would then belong in 100 I as originally proposed. Another adjective rather than Secondary may be better. As it stands in the 2011 code we are using the same phrase for two meanings that can lead to confusion.

NEC Style Manual: 2.2.2.1 Article 100. In general, Article 100 shall contain definitions of terms that appear in two or more other articles of the NEC.

red indicates deletion.

Status
Not open for further replies.