Speed Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricianJeff

I just completed my first new home rough-in in about 3 years or so. In fact, the first one I've ever done completely on my own. I always worked with and for another guy when I did new homes before. This one was a T&M job and frankly I had no idea how long it would take. My previous boss's SOP on new homes was start at 7:00, skip lunch and be sitting in a bar by 1:00, 2:00 if he wanted to work late. This is the main reason I now work for myself.

The home was 1600 sf on crawl, 2 car garage, all electric wired above code minimum. Extra's included 7 smokes, 8 cable drops, 8 phone drops, 3 can lights, 2 fan/light kits, whirlpool tub, 2 sconces, 2 pendants, no fireplace or under cabinet lighting, 200 amp. underground service with 33 circuits in total utilized. I didn't count the drops but between 120, phone and cable I went through about 80 single gang boxes and probably about a dozen or so 2 and 3 gang boxes.

Not counting material runs I had 58 hours in on the rough which includes pig tailing all the multgang switches and connecting all the neutrals and grounds in the panel. I am sort of a neat freak with my wire with nothing run on the diagonal and everything stapled and supported properly.

I know this is no sort of land/speed record but I really humped when I had the tool belt on and I am curious to know how this compares to guys that rope new homes all or most of the time? Especially anyone whose is a one man show like myself.

As an aside, I know of a couple of companies locally that are doing these homes for between 3.15 - 3.25 per sf. Unless they are a lot faster than me or are stealing the materials I can't see how they are making any money. I know now why I can't compete with these guys, guess I'll just have to stick with service work. However, the owner has already told me hes starting another when this one is done and he expects me to wire it for him. We will see how he feels when he gets my bill.

elvis_931

We do a lot of these type houses. The faster you can get in and get out, the better off you are obviously. We rough these in (including prepping switches, plugs, terminate all breakers-neutrals-grounds in panel in 1-1/2 to 2-days. That is one electrician and one helper. Trim out including the service takes two days max.

nakulak

ElectricianJeff said:
My previous boss's SOP on new homes was start at 7:00, skip lunch and be sitting in a bar by 1:00, 2:00 if he wanted to work late.

I like the way this guy works. Is he hiring ?

bbaumer

First off, I can't directly answer your question, sorry.

I did want to share this though.

I have seen a 5 man crew rough a 2,400 SF spec home in a little more than half a day.

One guys with a 1/2" drill motor, auger and long extension cord drilling holes like a mad man.

One guy with a sack full of plastic boxes and a hammer, using his hammer as a tape measure nailing boxes on.

One guy installing ceiling boxes.

One guy installing the service.

One guy "pulling rope".

The box men and the hole driller all shifted to pulling rope, minimal phone and CATV, stripping and pigtailing as they completed their task.

Probably 6 hours x 5 men = 30 manhours.

They obviously had done several of these homes so there was no looking at prints or discussing locations with the Owner.

The painters on this house were the same way. 2 guys painted the whole house in a day. One guys spraying and one guy going behind with a roller. Everything got painted, walls, trim even the windows. Windows scraped off later.

stickboy1375

Do you really want to run around like crazy pulling NM? just charge more and sit back and relax... :grin: My boss does all T&M work, pretty decent size jobs, money wise, I do them by myself, I wont even tell you how long it takes me to rough a house... :grin:

steelersman

ElectricianJeff said:
I just completed my first new home rough-in in about 3 years or so. In fact, the first one I've ever done completely on my own. I always worked with and for another guy when I did new homes before. This one was a T&M job and frankly I had no idea how long it would take. My previous boss's SOP on new homes was start at 7:00, skip lunch and be sitting in a bar by 1:00, 2:00 if he wanted to work late. This is the main reason I now work for myself.

The home was 1600 sf on crawl, 2 car garage, all electric wired above code minimum. Extra's included 7 smokes, 8 cable drops, 8 phone drops, 3 can lights, 2 fan/light kits, whirlpool tub, 2 sconces, 2 pendants, no fireplace or under cabinet lighting, 200 amp. underground service with 33 circuits in total utilized. I didn't count the drops but between 120, phone and cable I went through about 80 single gang boxes and probably about a dozen or so 2 and 3 gang boxes.

Not counting material runs I had 58 hours in on the rough which includes pig tailing all the multgang switches and connecting all the neutrals and grounds in the panel. I am sort of a neat freak with my wire with nothing run on the diagonal and everything stapled and supported properly.

I know this is no sort of land/speed record but I really humped when I had the tool belt on and I am curious to know how this compares to guys that rope new homes all or most of the time? Especially anyone whose is a one man show like myself.

As an aside, I know of a couple of companies locally that are doing these homes for between 3.15 - 3.25 per sf. Unless they are a lot faster than me or are stealing the materials I can't see how they are making any money. I know now why I can't compete with these guys, guess I'll just have to stick with service work. However, the owner has already told me hes starting another when this one is done and he expects me to wire it for him. We will see how he feels when he gets my bill.
one time I roughed in a similar sized home, it was split level but didn't have as many cable and phone lines but I think it was a little bigger in square footage. I completely roughed it in from start to finish in 13 hours straight. But I had wired that same exact house numerous times before so I didn't even have to measure the walls for outlets and switches exept for the height of them and I already knew in my head exactly how the circuits went.

stickboy1375

iwire said:
The real question is does our weight challenged friend eat hot dogs or steak?

I'll eat either, do I want a higher paid job? absolutely, do I want to sacrifice what I have now for that? probably not... so my goal is to just find a different line of work. ;)

ElectricianJeff

A/A Fuel GTX said:
So what was your bill for the whole package, rough, trim and extra's?

Keep in mind this is T&M and i'm not done yet but I think the final will be around $6,500. Keep in mind we have roapers in town that would be in the 4800-5200 dollar range. I just can't see how they do it.

ItsHot

$6500?

$6500?

ElectricianJeff said:
Keep in mind this is T&M and i'm not done yet but I think the final will be around $6,500. Keep in mind we have roapers in town that would be in the 4800-5200 dollar range. I just can't see how they do it.
$6500??? no wonder you are hurrying! Will you show a profit at this price?:-?

Status
Not open for further replies.