Metal cover plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

shyguy101

Stainless steel cover plate for a light switch is removed to replace the broken switch. House is wired with NM with a ground but not connected to the switch, just tied together at the box. When replacing the switch, do you tap into the ground and ground the switch or just put it back the way it was?

ultramegabob

shyguy101 said:
Stainless steel cover plate for a light switch is removed to replace the broken switch. House is wired with NM with a ground but not connected to the switch, just tied together at the box. When replacing the switch, do you tap into the ground and ground the switch or just put it back the way it was?

is this a test question?

electricalperson

you should fix violations when you find them. last person to work on it is responsible. heres what i do. if im working in someones house doing something completly unrelated and i notice a pretty bad violation. im talking flying splices, zip cord for branch circuits, etc i tell the homeowner about it and let them know they should fix it.

iwire

Staff member
IMO 404.9(B) requires it.

That section does have an exception for when replacements are installed but no grounding means exists. In your case you have a grounding means and you will be installing a metal plate today under the current code, not the code when the home was built.

electricalperson

ultramegabob said:
is there a violation if the box is metal and it is bonded?
if the device yoke is completly in contact with the box or your using an army cover and not a 4 inch raised cover you dont have to have a pigtail from the equipment bond just make sure the box is properly bonded and your covered

ultramegabob

electricalperson said:
if the device yoke is completly in contact with the box or your using an army cover and not a 4 inch raised cover you dont have to have a pigtail from the equipment bond just make sure the box is properly bonded and your covered

what is an army cover? never heard that term before.

electricalperson

ultramegabob said:
what is an army cover? never heard that term before.
601948_front200.jpg

i suppose a plaster ring would be under that code too

electricalperson

iwire said:
That applies to receptacles, not switches.

See 404.9(B) for switches
sorry, 404.9B is pretty similar to the article i mentioned. a grounding conductor bonded to the box doesnt really need to have a pigtail if the yoke mounted to a metal box with metal screws

Status
Not open for further replies.